Author Topic: John McKay/MacKay in Cape Breton  (Read 19782 times)

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McKay/MacKay in Cape Breton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew. I will have to study this and see where it takes me. I know that the Rev. Norman McLean went on to Australia, and/or New Zealand after Cape Breton. It is my understanding that NZ was his original destination, so I'm not quite sure how they ended up in Cape Breton. Some of the hardier souls apparently accompanied him on his further journey, but a lot of them had done enough travelling and elected to stay in Cape Breton.

Myrna
Coubrough, Cowbrough - all variants, anytime, anyplace
MacKay and McLean in Cape Breton, Canada

Offline Andrew.rkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RE; Rev John Norman. Maclean!!!
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Wrong Maclean. This Maclean was from Pictou, Nova Scotia. Lauglin. Maclean son of Allen nephew to my great 10x grandfather Charles great grandson. Went to theology school in Nova Scotia then Manitoba then California then Montana. "A River Runs Through It" Bradd Pitt played the Rev son Paul Maclean my cousin. Craig Schaffer played Norman and Tom Skirett played Rev. Maclean.

Offline Andrew.rkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RE; Rev John Norman. Maclean!!!
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Wrong Maclean. This Maclean was from Pictou, Nova Scotia. Lauglin. Maclean son of Allen nephew to my great 10x grandfather Charles great grandson. Went to theology school in Nova Scotia then Manitoba then California then Montana. "A River Runs Through It" Bradd Pitt played the Rev son Paul Maclean my cousin. Craig Schaffer played Norman and Tom Skirett played Rev. Maclean.

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 January 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the correction. Told you it was hard to keep them straight! It was the Rev. Norman McLean who brought some of the 1830-ish McLeans from Rum to Cape Breton, though.

I have never seen that movie, but I might have to now.

Myrna

Offline Andrew.rkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 January 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Wrong Maclean this one was born and raised in Pictou, Nova Scotia marries my other cousin Clara Davidson from Pembinan Manitoba.

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

I appreciate all your help and all the information, but I think we seem to have got off track here. I am interested in the McLeans, but I was actually looking for John McKay and his family in this thread. I mainly included his wife Flora McLean so we could tell which John McKay I was looking for.

I am still trying to find the marriage record of John McKay and Flora McLean, hoping it might by some miracle contain the name of John's father. I know they were married around 1825-30, and I have the names of their children (most of them were still living at home in 1871!), but I have been unable to go back any further than John and Flora with any certainty. They were undoubtedly from Rum, and the 1764 (I think) census from there has only one McKay family with a Hector of the right age to be the one in the 1818 Cape Breton census. However, I have been unable to prove a connection between Flora McLean's John and any of his predecessors.

Thanks again for the help with the McLeans.
Myrna

Offline Andrew.rkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Yes, Flora is from Rum as far as I know Hector came with all his children. I am from Donald Maclean. One of many Hector's sons. Beyond who she married or certificates. Good luck found this just an FYI

Hector MacLean
Born [date unknown] in Isle of Rum, Invernessshire, Scotland
Son of Charles MacLean and Flora MacLean
Brother of Alexander MacLean andAllan MacLean
Husband of Mary (MacIntosh) MacLean — married [date unknown] [location unknown]
Father of Donald MacLean, Kenneth MacLean, John MacLean andCharles MacLean
Died before July 3, 1855 in Margaree, Inverness County, Nova Scotia
Profile manager: George MacLean 

The first MacLean to settle at Whale Cove was Hector, who was born in the Isle of Rum, Scotland. He was married in Scotland to Mary McIntosh and had a family of seven, all of whom came here with their parents, except one daughter who went to Australia. Hector (the father) purchased 347 acres of land at Whale Cove which he divided among his three sons, John, Donald and Kenneth. He bought another adjacent lot for his fourth son Charles.

Will

Hector's will was signed November 6 1834 but only probated July 3 1855.

Offline AMcKay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 March 19 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Did either of the John McKay's mentioned here have a son named Peter McKay that later moved to NFLD? I am stuck trying to trace back past Peter McKay born in Chimney Cove, Cape Breton in 1829 married to Catherine MacIsaac.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks.   

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 March 19 01:27 GMT (UK) »
There were two Peter MacKay's I know of that were associated with this family, but I don't think either of them went to Newfoundland. John, father of Peter at #1, below, was born about 1790 in Rum, and appears to have been the son of another Peter, b abt 1757, also in Rum, son of Donald MacKay and Janet/Gunnet MacKinnon.

1. Peter, son of John & Flora/Ann MacKay  b 1820 in Rum, Scotland d 1890 Chimney Corner, Cape Breton had a wife called Margaret and sons called Edward, John (b 1848 Margaree Harbour), and Neil (b 1853 in Cape Mabou).

2. Peter b 1885, son of John b 1848, above, and Mary MacKay, daughter of Donald & Isabella MacKay.

The other John, son of Hector, who was in the 1818 census, doesn't appear to have had any sons or grandsons or great-grandsons called Peter.

Sorry I can't help more.