Author Topic: John McKay/MacKay in Cape Breton  (Read 19781 times)

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McKay/MacKay in Cape Breton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
Linda,
Wow! Thanks a lot for all that stuff. I will have to see how what I already know fits with what you have found. Based on ones I have seen for other places, I doubt the actual documents have much more information than you have quoted, but I will try to get my hands on them to make sure. It could take a really long time to have land petitions granted. One of my McLeans from the east coast of Cape Breton (Kennington Cove) applied for a grant in 1841, just before he got married. It wasn't actually approved until 1852 -- the first one for that district!

I agree that being next door to each other might indicate that John was closely related to Hector, but I'm not convinced that if he was only 17 he wouldn't still be living at home if he was the son.

My reason for thinking that John was Hector's nephew is that John and Flora called their first known son Donald, which, in the Scots naming tradition, would indicate that John's father was called Donald. In the same tradition, the second son would be called after his mother's father. John and Flora's second son was Hector, and we know Flora's father to have been called Hector. If John's father was called that, I would expect the first son to have been Hector, and the second boy to be called John, after his own father.

I had a look at an on-line transcript, which also shows a William McLean living beside John and Hector. I think this was probably the William McLean who was married to Hector's daughter. (We aren't sure what her name was but think it might have been Flora or Mary. McDougall calls her Miss McKay.) William McLean and "Miss McKay," not having any children of their own, are said to have been the source of the 900 acres farmed by John McKay and Flora McLean.

I guess the next step is to try to sort out the land records, in case there was more than one John McKay.

Myrna
Coubrough, Cowbrough - all variants, anytime, anyplace
MacKay and McLean in Cape Breton, Canada

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Myrna

Your very welcome.

Hopefully from the grants you can identify more details on the petitioners, lot concessions/numbers - and identify whose who. Hopefully they remained on their lots and can be matched up with lot information on the 1851 census.

I have Scots also and in two cases of mine they did not follow the naming convention, throws you a loop it does.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Do you know where I can access the 1851 census for Cape Breton? I was under the impression that those counties no longer exist. The only ones I have found were for the mainland Nova Scotia counties.

Myrna

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 October 08 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Myrna

Sorry seems no 1851 for your area. The 1861 or possibly earlier ones
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/databases/polltax/series23.asp

Did you know there are some cemetery transcriptions for McLeans in Whale Cove on this website:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nscpbret/cem83.html

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 October 08 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
I haven't had much time to spend on my "dead people" the last few days: the ones that are still breathing have been taking up all my time.

Thanks for the tip about the cemetery list. I hadn't seen the web site, but I have been to the Whale Cove cemetery. Some of the McLeans there are directly connected to my husband's family, but I have yet to work out how or if the others are related. Some of the McKays there are also his, but the same "how/if/maybe" applies to them. ;D

Myrna

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
good going, Linda...

this is is the only land record for William McLean..  n 1827
Petition to Kempt: Petitioner asks 400 acres at Chimney Corner, between Broad Cove and Marguerite; this in lieu of a like quantity surveyed for him at Lake Ainslie. Warrant issued.

also who was the Donald McKay who previously owned part of land with Hector...son? (ie: the other child mentioned ) or brother?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:34 BST (UK) »
I think Donald was Hector's brother or cousin. One of the land records that Linda quoted earlier has Hector reporting that Donald was deceased, leaving no children. If he was a son he might have been too young to have kids, but I haven't found any other records to substantiate this.

Myrna

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 October 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
John was born circa 1799 Scotland, so a brother would have been well within child-rearing years. in 1820.../ but i'm I'm just trying to make you think,  ;D

here's one for you...however reliable....
The FHS has a Pedigree Resource File submission that says this man, Donald McLean, born 1815 Scotland...is a brother to your Flora, as parents listed as Hector McLean & Mary McIntosh...
says immigrated in 1827...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=26080&highlight=20

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 October 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 Do you know who the Margaret McKay belongs to who is living beside Your John & Flory & son William...May be a clue to more information
1881 image
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e325/e008115150.pdf