Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 27921 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Just in case people aren’t aware, because it isn’t all that obvious with a Google search, but the Kilbride graveyard has been surveyed, with results here (go to Cemeteries, search for Kilbride under “UK – Northern Ireland”):
https://discovereverafter.com/

Having said that, if there is a headstone of a James Bryson who died in 1787, I can’t make it out in the photos.  Deb, do you have a transcript?

Yes, James Bryson’s (d. 1832) purchase of Duncan’s Farm would have made him one of the largest farmers in the area.  Who is the son or grandson you have a will for?  I haven’t looked at the Brysons on the PRONI catalogue recently so you may be talking about one there.

The James Bryson of Covelodge was the father of Margaret Bryson who married Charles Bryson of Ballybracken in 1835.  Was that James Bryson also the father of James Bryson who married Agnes Bird née Bryson in 1855?

Yes, RE the place names in this area.  Even Holestone only really emerged as a townland in the mid-1700s I think.  It used to include part of Moyadam and was called Grange.  In the 1600s it was apparently called Brice’s Land.

On the Fergusons, I don’t think anyone has yet figured out who the parents were of Francis Ferguson (c1791-1866) who married Agnes Gawn.  One of his descendants did a Y-DNA test, and his daughter posted earlier on this thread – so hopefully we’ll figure it out eventually.

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 00:56 GMT (UK) »
The website you listed pretty much parallels Find-A-Grave for Kilbride Cemetery. There are a few markers I didn’t have. It’s a great resource. Plot 164 where James Bryson d. 1832 is buried has many of the family members of the current residents of the Ballyvoy farm. I have a list of who’s buried in known plots. Etta Mann actually compiled the list and I’ve no doubt would share it. Mine is pretty marked up.

The son James I have for Covelodge James Bryson is James Bryson b. 1820 d. 1835. That James is buried at Kilbride in Plot 64.

The James Bryson I think you’re asking about for was the grandson of Covelodge James and the son of Robert Bryson and Margaret Warwick. I have his marriage in 1855 to Agnes Boyd, a widow though. I got that name from the current owner of Ballyvoy. They are their great and great great grandparents. It wouldn’t surprise me if Agnes was a Bryson. That branch had a lot of Bryson/Bryson marriages. Do you have a marriage record?

I do have a James Bryson who died in Australia in 1861 (memorial on stone) who may or may not have married an Agnes Bird in 1855.

I did know that area was known as the Grange at one time. I didn’t know it was Brice’s Land. That makes sense as Brice is one of the Scottish derivatives of Bryson. There is a branch of Brysons who immigrated to America in the 1700s from County Antrim.  I’m sure there’s some relationship there but no DNA.

I emailed you a copy of John Bryson’s d 1859 will.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 22:05 GMT (UK) »
This was the marriage I was thinking of:

Belfast Newsletter, 31 Jul 1835   
By the Rev. Alex. Bryson, Seceding Minister, Charles Bryson, Esq. Ballybracken, to Margaret, eldest daughter to James Bryson, Esq. Cove-lodge.

If Cove Lodge was on the Ballyvoy farm, then that's Duncansland I think?  So I was wondering if James Bryson (1826-1909) of Duncansland may have been a son of James Bryson of Cove Lodge.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I did know that area was known as the Grange at one time. I didn’t know it was Brice’s Land. That makes sense as Brice is one of the Scottish derivatives of Bryson. There is a branch of Brysons who immigrated to America in the 1700s from County Antrim.  I’m sure there’s some relationship there but no DNA.

It hadn't actually occurred to me that Brice might be Bryson.  I'm not sure if that is the derivation in this case, but it is possible.

In the mid-17th century the townland was owned by one Brice Crawford.  I guess he may have inherited it from a Brice maternal grandfather, but I have no evidence for that.  I think he may have been ancestor of the Crawfords of Ballysavage.

I've gleaned most of that information from a 1728 deed where the 600 acres of Grange were sold to William Gilliland (my 8x great grandfather).  The seller was John Crawford of Holestone which presumably was the name of his house/farm, but not yet the name of the townland.

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »

By the Rev. Alex. Bryson, Seceding Minister, Charles Bryson, Esq. Ballybracken, to Margaret, eldest daughter to James Bryson, Esq. Cove-lodge.

If Cove Lodge was on the Ballyvoy farm, then that's Duncansland I think?  So I was wondering if James Bryson (1826-1909) of Duncansland may have been a son of James Bryson of Cove Lodge.

No, James Bryson (1826-1909) was the grandson of James Bryson of Covelodge. 1826 James Bryson was the son of Robert Bryson and Margaret Warwick. He is also the direct line great+ grandfather of the current owner.  He’s buried in Plot 164 with most of his descendants who’ve passed.

The marriage record you’re referencing is Covelodge James Bryson’s daughter Margaret married Charles Bryson in 1835.

Cove Lodge still exists and the brother of the current owner of Ballyvoy farm lives in the home.

Offline Lbryson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 16 November 23 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Sorry I’m just noticing these messages.  Lorna, the following is the note I had on my tree for Robert Bryson:

Robert Bryson, surgeon of Poyntzpass.  Was probably related to the Rev. Alexander Bryson of Fourtowns near Poyntzpass.  They both clearly had links to the Donegore area.  I think that's probably where they originated.

Your message basically confirms all of that.  More details below.

Belfast Newsletter, 22nd Sep 1818:
In Poyntzpass, on the 17th ult. by the Rev. Mr. Bryson, Surgeon Bryson, of Poyntzpass, to Susannah, eldest daughter of Mr. George Bennet of said place.

Belfast Newsletter, 17th Feb 1824:
On the 27th ult. at Donegore, by the Rev. Mr. Wallace, Mr. Robert Bryson, surgeon, of Pointzpass, to Eleanor, eldest daughter of the late Mr. James Gawn, of Donegore.

Hi Gilby, this is brilliant I hadn’t come across these announcements. The Rev Alex Bryson marries Mary Jane Bennet the next year. I knew George Bennet had a third daughter I just couldn’t find her name anywhere.

Alex and Robert were both from Ballybracken their father John Bryson had at least 4 named sons and a unnamed daughter

Thanks for that info, Lorna

Offline Lbryson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 16 November 23 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

I have quite a bit of information on the branch of Brysons you’re related to. Rev. Alex Bryson’s brother Charles married Margaret Bryson, youngest daughter of James Bryson in 1835. She was 15. James Bryson was my 4th ggf’s John W. Bryson’s brother. There is a marriage announcement in the Belfast Newsletter. They were married by Alex Bryson. Charles, Margaret and family are buried at Kilbride Cemetery. I also received a Bryson packet from a researcher from PRONI. It’s an ancestry from someone from that branch who resided in Canada. I’m happy to share the pages with you.

Best wishes,

Deb Bryson Martin
[/quote]

Hey Deb,
Wow 15 even then feels young!

Any new info would be great. I found a letter when visiting proni from a relative in Saskatchewan, it says about four Bryson brothers coming over from Scotland to Ballybracken in the reign of James 1 is that the info your taking about?

Reading your and Gilbys recent posts I’m ngl it’s all a little confusing for me 😂  I suppose if those 4 brothers all had family’s a few generations later the whole area around is going fill up with Brysons. I did my dads ydna a few years ago but everyone connected we must have had a shared gf in Scotland so hasn’t cleared up the line or where in Scotland my Bryson line originated. Their family lines interestingly also came over to ulster before most of them moved to North America.

Thanks, Lorna

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 18:38 GMT (UK) »

No, James Bryson (1826-1909) was the grandson of James Bryson of Covelodge. 1826 James Bryson was the son of Robert Bryson and Margaret Warwick. He is also the direct line great+ grandfather of the current owner.  He’s buried in Plot 164 with most of his descendants who’ve passed.

The marriage record you’re referencing is Covelodge James Bryson’s daughter Margaret married Charles Bryson in 1835.

Cove Lodge still exists and the brother of the current owner of Ballyvoy farm lives in the home.

Sorry, got sidetracked again!

According to his marriage record, James Bryson (1826-1909) was son of a James Bryson, not Robert.  Do you mean his wife Agnes Bryson was the daughter of Robert Bryson and Margaret Warwick?

My thinking was the line might run something like this:

James Bryson (c1746-1832) of Ballyvoy
---- James Bryson (??-??) of Covelodge
-------- James Bryson (c1826-1909) of Duncansland

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna, I’m missing Rev. Alexander Bryson’s marriage – was it in 1819?  Was there a newspaper notice?