Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 30330 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Robert Bryson b. 1830 and James b. 1833-34 were both the sons of John W. Bryson's eldest son James b. Abt 1797 d. 1835 and Martha Ann McConnell.

Is there any documentary evidence for a connection to John W. Bryson?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Here’s a transcript of the headstone in Kilbride Graveyard:

In memory of JAMES BRYSON, Holestone, who died 27th March 1878 aged 75 years.  His wife MARTHA ANN who died 9th [Aug] 1870 aged 59 years.  Also their children,  LIZZIE died 28th March, 1858 aged 10 years.  THOMAS died 27th Aug 1860 aged 19 years.  JAMES died [in] Australia 23rd May 1861 aged 27 years.  JOHN died 5th March 1864 aged 26 years.  ROBERT died 13th May 1872 aged 21 years.

There’s nothing there to indicate that James Bryson (c1834-1861) was not the son of James Bryson (c1803-1878) of Holestone. 

Here’s the marriage record from Donegore 1st Presbyterian:

July 5 1831.  James Brison, Holestone, to Martha Anne McConnell Ballywee.  Witnesses Jas Gawn Donegore & Thos McConnell Ballywee.

Unless there’s another marriage record of Martha Ann Bryson/McConnell to another James Bryson between 1831 and 1838, then I can see no reason to believe that James Bryson (c1803-1878) of Holestone is not the same James Bryson of Holestone who married her in 1831.

You mention that James Bryson travelled alone to Australia.  It is not impossible that he left a wife behind.  But his employer specifically described him as a “single man” during the inquest over his death.  So I don’t see any reason to think that he is the James Bryson who married Agnes Boyd née Bryson in 1855.

I know I’m probably beginning to sound obstinate, but I don’t mean to be!  I’m just trying to wrap my head around these connections.  As you say, there are too many James Brysons – I’m up to 33 on my tree now!

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gilby!

I have DNA matches with two of Robert's daughters who were baptized at 1st Donegore.  His son James died without issue and left his estate to his brother William who had four daughters. Three are buried with Robert, William and their wives at Kilbride.  Unfortunately the Bryson name in this branch died off in 1940 with William's death. I thought the whole branch in Ireland had died off until I matched DNA with the Fosters. The O'Haras live in Colorado USA.

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, hit post....

His daughters were Isabelle/Isabella and Agnes. Isabelle/Isabella married an O'Hara and emigrated to the Western U.S. and Agnes married a Foster.

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 20:30 GMT (UK) »
It's hard to wrap my head around this family too...except for my, thankfully, straight line it's a confusing bunch. Haha We do have our mysterious lost daughter who married a Milford and is listed as "my grandson, James Milford" and then as "my nephew James Milford of County Antrim, Ireland" in John W's son Charles's 1884 will.

James Bryson d. 1861 was 27 when he
 died and his father James d. 1835 was still alive and married to Martha Ann.
John W was aware of his son's death in
 1836 and left a bequest "to the children of my son James, deceased". 

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 20:36 GMT (UK) »
James Bryson d1861 is listed singularly on the ship manifest to Australia.  I thought it was a different James until it popped up on the headstone. 

Agnes Boyd was a Bryson? That branch is so confusing with all those Bryson/Bryson marriages.  There certainly were other families. My John W went to Belfast for Margaret Wilson and to County Down for Mary McCune.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes too many James and John Brysons. Perhaps the Gawns  are alittle easier.

I have James Gawn born c 1766 and died 1816 . wife named Margaret. Daughter Eleanor married Robert Byson of Poyntpass brother of Rev Alex.. So this James Gawn was not alive in 1830 and I do not have a son named James Gawn for him.

This James Gawn's brother John b c 1868 who  married the unnamed Bryson whose sister was Joice Bryson daughter of James & Elizabeth. John appears to have had only the one son, John whose will named Joice Bryson as an aunt.

Which then leaves the family of Andrew Gawn of Halftown, as the remaining brother Robert Gawn only had one son named William. Though Billy Gawn's website has a letter written 1805 of another potential brother who emigrated to the US.

So back to Andrew Gawn's large family. His son James was born 1811 which means he could have been the witness to the 1830 marriage.

Andrew Gawn's oldest daughter married Thomas McConnell of Ballywee in 1826

So that ties in.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh one more McConnell to add to this group.

James Gawn born c 17676 who died 1816 had a daughter Mary born c 1803. Mary married in 1829 to  James McConnell of ballywee. Below is copied from http://www.gawnfamilystory.co.uk/JamesGawn1766.htm

Mary Gawn born c. 1803.
(Belfast News Letter Friday 16th January 1829)
Second daughter of the late James Gawn of Donegore, married James McConnell of East Ballywee in 2nd Donegore Presbyterian Church on 12th January, 1829

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Oops. I missed the James Gawn born c 1801  died  28 Dec 1835, son of James Gawn born c 1766.

So he is also a candidate for the witness at the 1830 marriage.

By the way John Bryson Smyth of Holestone married in 1865 to  Elizabeth Mary McConnell of Ballywee, daughter of Agnes Gawn and Thomas McConnell.