Author Topic: Martin Goulding  (Read 2586 times)

Offline waterloo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin Goulding
« on: Monday 06 October 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to get information on my great grandfather he was born in 1844  or there abouts in Ireland the information I have is that his wife was called Catherine the census shows that he was born in a place called either Hagen or Flagen it is hard to make it out plus there accent  would have been hard for anyone from Hull in Yorkshire to make out I do know they where roman catholics and that they had children after they arrived the eldest was Mary Goulding who was born about 1883 by looking at the records I think they must have left ireland in the 4 years before then  if anyone can help i would appreciate it as i am getting nowhere fast the only other thing is my brother seems to remember my grandmother mentioning Sligo but he can't say if they came from there or not

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Goulding
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 22:36 BST (UK) »
The first thing to do would be to find the maiden name of Catherine (birth certificate of one of her children should give it) and then try to find a record of the marriage of Martin and Catherine. If they got married after 1864 in Ireland there will be a marriage certificate which should lists the names and occupations of their fathers as well as the residences (townland) of the bride and goom at the time of the marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline waterloo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you I havehad a mail from Luimneach who says There is a martin G wife Catherine Mcnutty from Swinford County Mayo hopefully I can get a marriage cert unless they married before 64 as he would have been 20 but there eldest child was not born round about 1873 so I may be lucky I will let you Know how I get on again thank you very much for your help

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
You really do need to get a copy of a birth certificate for Catherine's maiden name and then you could go after a marriage certificate.

Family Search IGI has a birth for a Michael Golden 1868 Swinford with parents Martin Golden and Catherine McNulty. Your Martin has a boy Michael b 1888 so that needs to be taken into consideration. Sometimes younger siblings were named after older ones who had died but ..

I have Goldens in my family and are sometimes referred to as Golding so that birth reference could be ok.

I can't see a birth place other than Ireland in the census - which one does it have 'Hagen or Lagen' on please?

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
Doubtful the marriage is the right one.

Martin Goulding married Catherine McNulty and had at least 5 children in Ireland:
1. Mary born 29 Oct.1866 Co. Mayo
2. Michael born 11 Aug.1868 Swineford district, Mayo
3. William born 18 Aug.1870 Co. Mayo
4. Bridget born 20 Sept.1873 Co. Mayo
5. James GOLDEN born 5 Feb.1876 Co. Mayo

Another marriage- Martin Golding m. Kitty Higgins and had at least 3 children:
1. Bridget born 15 Jan.1871 Ireland
2. Martin born 8 Jan.1874 Cong district, Mayo
3. John born 24 June 1877 Co. Mayo

There may also be other Martin Goldings married to a Catherine in that area which is why I suggest getting the birth certificates for child born in England to get the correct maiden name of the mother so you will get the right marriage and not go on a wild goose chase.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found them on 1881 - wasn't expecting that and didn't read your message properly I realise - sorry! Yes it does look like Hagen!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
There is also a Michael and Winnie Goulding in Hull in 1881 - birthplace same - but looks like 'Slagen'  - that may be where Sligo comes in! I would be quite pleased with this and think that they may be brothers  ???  (but big warning- never assume!!)

Offline waterloo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
it is very confusing at times on the cesus image it is hard to tell if it is hagen Flagen or Slagen the martin with wife named Catherine is the one with the daugther Ann who I think is my grandmother but as you say it is very easy to get on the wrong track I don't know how many times that has happen I will know more when I get Michaels birth certificate