Author Topic: Sam the Carter-Llanybydder,Cwrtnewydd and ?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sam the Carter-Llanybydder,Cwrtnewydd and ?
« on: Sunday 12 October 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Searching for Samuel Davies[Sam the carter].He was born in Llanybydder[Carmarthenshire] in 1838.He was married to Elizabeth and they had 7 children all born in Cwrtnewydd in the Parish of Llanwennog,County Cardiganshire.I have him and his family in various locations in Cwrtnewydd in 1861 and 1871,but by 1881 he and his wife have disappeared leaving 5 of their children in a private boarding school run by Elizabeth Rees.

The info. that I seek is what happened to him and his wife to leave the children here?I can find no sign of them in the Censuses,could they have emigrated,thinking to send for the children when they were settled or is it simply the case that they both passed away?

Also anything on any of his siblings- Mary[b.1828],David[b.1831],Sarah[b.1834] and John[b.1840] all born Llanybydder and his parents-John and Rachel.

Thankyou,Diolch yn fawr,

brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sam the Carter-Llanybydder,Cwrtnewydd and ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census, only Sarah & Samuel are marked as born in county, if I'm looking at the correct family HO107/1380/22 folio 22 pg 3.

Similarities with this family

1851 Llandyssul, Cards HO107/2482 folio 651 pg 15
John Davies head mar 48 carrier
Rachel wife 48
Mary dau 23 spinster
John son 10
Ann dau 7
James son 10 months
all born Cardiganshire

1861 Penlancanol, Llanwenog RG9/4189 folio 22 pg 6
John Davies head mar 59 farmer of 9 acreas b. Llanwenog
Rachel wife 59 b. Lampeter
John son 20 b. Llanybyther
James Jones grandson 11 shepherd b. Llandyssul
(suspect James is the baby from 1851 and more likely to be Mary's son)

possible marriage
John Davies of Llandyssil to Rachel Jenkins of Llanwenog 4/4/1825

possible death regs
Rachel Davies 68 mar qtr 1870 Lampeter vol 11b pg 30
John Davies 68 june qtr 1870 Lampeter vol 11b pg 29

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again osprey,

Some brilliant detective work!
Yes, you are looking at the right family in 1841,they were living in Sarnginini Fach.
Well done for noticing where they were born,it had slipped past me,curious now as to where Mary and David were born-Llandyssul is a possibility as it straddles the border between Carms. and Cards..
1851 next,looks like paydirt again,as most things tally.We also have the appearance of Ann[b.1844,?] and James,10 months,who looks likely to be Mary's child as you say.By now David,Sarah and Samuel have disappeared.
1861 again looks good.Mary has now disappeared but her son remains.I can account for Samuel in this year as he appears in RG/9/4189 folio20 page1 with wife Elizabeth and son Vernon.
I can account for Samuel and family in 1871-RG10/5552 folio8 page9 and by now his family have increased to include John,Rachel and Margaret as well as Vernon.
By 1881 though Samuel,Elizabeth,Vernon and John have all disappeared leaving Rachel and Margaret as well as 3 more children-Sarah,David and Hannah as Boarders in Elizabeth Rees' school[RG11/5439 folio19 page7.And here lies the mystery.John I can maybe account for but the other 3 are a mystery.
I can also account for Rachel,Margaret[my G.Grandmother],Sarah,David and Hannah.
As you can see some missing parts to the jigsaw.I would be grateful if you could shed some light on these,but these would be a bonus you've already filled quite a few holes.The marriage and death regs. look good also,I shall go ahead and order them.
Thank you,Diolch yn fawr,
David
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Davies-
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
have to say I've had no luck with Samuel & Elizabeth & family - there aren't that many Vernons around. I wonder if they left the UK for some reason. 

Davies is difficult enough. When county boundaries come into the equation as well, it's going to be harder. I'd think that the missing Davies siblings in 1851 are farm servants.

Possibles for Samuel
Blaeneinon, Llandyssul HO107/2482 folio 622 pg 3 age 15
Glandwr, Llandyssul HO107/2482 folio 650 pg 12 age 13
Vronlas, Blaenporth HO107/2481 folio 619 pg 15 age 14 rather further away but there's also a David Davies aged 18 there both born Cardiganshire.
Guesswork really!

Can you get access to newspapers of the time? If the children were left behind and something happened to the parents I'd think it would be reported.

I had a look at the IGI for baptisms, but no sign. Wasn't hugely thorough as 5 years of Davies entries mounts up. Were they non-conformist?

:-\   :-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 08 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello osprey,

Looks like you've come across the same problems that I did regarding Samuel,Elizabeth and Vernon.As you say they might have emigrated so I shall check the passenger lists again.Whatever happened they must have left a substantial sum of money to cover the boarding and schooling costs,though judging by the Carriers or Carters in my family they were'nt short of money.

I agree that the Davies siblings were in all likelyhood farm servants in 1851,but as you say guesswork.

As to newspaper access I don't think there were any for this area at this time-another thing to check on.Possibly there could be something in the South Wales papers as most Cardiganshire Carters traded in Merthyr.

Yes,they were non-conformists as far as I know.2 of Samuel's children are buried in an Unitarian graveyard,1 is buried in C of E graveyard in Herefordshire,as to the others I'm unsure.BMD records for Cardiganshire are scant to say the least and as you say there's nothing on the IGI.

Oh well back to it,thanks for your help,will let you know if I find out anymore.

Regards,David
Griffiths-
Davies-