Author Topic: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry  (Read 1895 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yellow Triangle on Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 14 October 08 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all....

When you search on A******y and it has a little yellow triangle against the name...how does that get there?   I've seen ones which have been corrected or added to by people and you used to be able to open it up to see who did it.   Is the yellow triangle different.   

The record I am looking at has an alternative name for a married woman - and gives her maiden name (which is easy to work out as she is daughter of the head of the household and there is also an unmarried sister under the maiden name).  Did the transcriber just decide to be helpful or has it been corrected by a researcher?

And am I write in thinking that sometimes there is s symbol which lets you see who made ammendments...? It's just that I have not seen it for a while.

Just curious with nothing better to occupy my mind ;D ;D ;D

Thanks

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on A*****y
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Milly,

I think the yellow triangles are
- either corrections made by ancestry themselves (typically, when there's an inlaw staying in the household)
- or corrections submitted by a member before a certain date (when they introduced the option to contact the correction submitter). Now these latter corrections have a square with a plus sign (or something similar) 

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 20:35 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is an old one. It has been there for a while as I remember seeing it early last year.   The original doesn't give the maiden name - someone has just made the assumption and added it.  I didn't realise they did that - I thought it was jsut or corrections not just for extra bits of assumed info.  :)

Thanks

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:52 BST (UK) »
I asked the same question on the Canada board, and a RCer had this to say about the small triangles that are not corrections by someone you can contact:

"The yellow triangles seem to be where the site's own transcribers thought the name could be read more than one way. " -Gene-ee-us

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi China  :)

"The yellow triangles seem to be where the site's own transcribers thought the name could be read more than one way. " -Gene-ee-us

I think this is correct for recent additions. However I have submitted a few corrections myself over the years and I observe that the oldest ones come up with a triangle, whereas the more recent ones have the blue contact thingy.

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
If you hover your pointer over the triangle a message pops up and explains

Rog

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is an old one. It has been there for a while as I remember seeing it early last year.   The original doesn't give the maiden name - someone has just made the assumption and added it.  I didn't realise they did that - I thought it was jsut or corrections not just for extra bits of assumed info.  :)

Some things can be safely assumed.  For instance, a woman whose married name is Freda White living in a house with her brother Fred Brown....... it can safely be assumed that her maiden name was Freda Brown.  Quite often people make these assumptions based on information gleaned from census pages, and then submit them as alternative names.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks...I just wondered (out of curiosity) ...as there are triangles and then the other symbol for corrections which has more info on it.   

Milly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
Some things can be safely assumed.  For instance, a woman whose married name is Freda White living in a house with her brother Fred Brown....... it can safely be assumed that her maiden name was Freda Brown.  Quite often people make these assumptions based on information gleaned from census pages, and then submit them as alternative names.

Until you find that they were actually half bro and sis, and Freda was from her mums first marriage to Julian Blenkinsop-Smythe, and Fred was from her second marriage to Joe Brown.

Too risky in ALL circumstances to assume ANYTHING
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk