Author Topic: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry  (Read 1887 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:36 BST (UK) »
Indeed - that's partly why I was curious as to who puts them there.  I don't like leaps of logic ;D ;D   although as clue to to be taken with a pinch of salt I guess it's useful.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on Ancestry
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:44 BST (UK) »
I've had a contact after submitting a maiden name for someone; so I'm not complaining (too much) about the facility.

Although Cousin Anna did initially think I was potty putting in the alternative name as the census image was crystal clear!

Pauine
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Triangle on A*****y
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 October 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Some things can be safely assumed.  For instance, a woman whose married name is Freda White living in a house with her brother Fred Brown....... it can safely be assumed that her maiden name was Freda Brown.  Quite often people make these assumptions based on information gleaned from census pages, and then submit them as alternative names.

Until you find that they were actually half bro and sis, and Freda was from her mums first marriage to Julian Blenkinsop-Smythe, and Fred was from her second marriage to Joe Brown.

Too risky in ALL circumstances to assume ANYTHING

If we could only rely on concrete evidence in our family trees, the only name in them would be our own, because you can't be certain of anything else, especially when it has been suggested that a good proportion of people who are certain that they know who their father is, are wrong  :o ;)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk