Author Topic: Huguenot burials in Southampton  (Read 11829 times)

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot burials in Southampton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 July 10 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz, I seem to remember that was the bombed church at the top of East Street.
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 July 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the one, the 18th century one with huge pillars at the front which was bombed in 1940 and knocked down eventually. 

http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/3223.asp
http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/2370.asp

Liz

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 September 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Westy
 According to the Victoria County History the Walloons were permitted to settle in 1567 after a begrudging nod with strings from the Southampton Gild and Corporation and with consent from Queen Elizabeth through Lord Cecil. This was the time also that they obtained permission to have a place of worship of their own and were granted the use of the God's House chapel, owned, as has already been pointed out, by Queen's College, Oxford.

The chapel had a history that was reasonably settled it seems except at the turn of the eighteenth century when the Church was effectively taken into the Church of England. The VCH does not mention about burials but it does mention that the CofE classed St Julian (or the French Church as it is also known) as a chapel in the parish of Holy Rood. If I were looking for records of the burials I would be searching for the records relating to the host bodies as much as of the church itself. Therefore I would be wanting to see the records of Queen's College in respect of the church; I'd want to see the burial records for Holy Rood, which may be in the Southampton Archive or they may be in the Hampshire record office at Winchester as the diocesan record office.

Southampton's church history is complicated and someone has already mentioned about the 'mother church' being St Mary's, but the walled town included four entire parishes and part of a fifth. The churches for these ancient parishes suffered, as has been explained, in the Blitz with All Saints (the parish that extended well beyond the walls) being destroyed, Holy Rood is now a war memorial, at least the shell of the bombed church is, St John's, one of the original French churches of the Domesday period is gone  with the other French Church St Michael's standing proudly still today. I cannot remember the other parish and since it has nothing to do with St Julian I shall not go and look it up.  The fact that Holy Rood was so severely damaged, it may be that some registers and records were destroyed.

Good luck in your quest

John
Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
I went to the open day on 27th June and it is a beautiful little chapel inside & out. After speaking to the curators on the day I have been advised to look at the Huguenot special collections in Southampton Library which I will do when I have some time. I have the Huguenot CD which I will have another look at for some help and I may try to contact Queens College to see what records they have
Cheers
Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
I'm glad that you got to see the chapel; I admit that I had a sneek look once when the door was open for reasons that I still do not know, but since the lights were out and it seemed as if I was intruding I did not linger long.

I have Oxford University connections of old and I know that some records have also made their way into the county archives, so Queens may have it, but if they don't try the Oxfordshire archives too.

regards
John
Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile