Author Topic: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY  (Read 19014 times)

Offline Greggie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

I suggest we do some troubshooting over phone - if you give Glasnevin Cemetery a call during office hours on 00353 1 830 1133 and ask to speak to myself Greg, they will give you the necessary contact details for me to talk to you directly to get you sorted.

Regards,

Greg

Offline Greggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry Joe, in relation to your first question RE has anyone else used this, just to confirm, ... yes .... since it was launched in April 2009 to Members of Public, there has numereous genealogy searches for each day since then.

Greg

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi to Dublin residents,

The Genealogical Society of Ireland (GSI )based in Dun Laoghaire, hosts an evening open meeting on 2nd Tuesday of every month in The Dún Laoghaire College of Further Education, Cumberland Street, Dún Laoghaire from 8 pm. to 10 pm. I'm afraid tonights meeting is too late for most people.

The topic is "The Records of Glasnevin Cemetery, by Mervyn Colville, Dublin Cemeteries Committee".

They also host a Morning Open Meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of every month in Weir's, Lower Georges Street, Dún Laoghaire. from 10 am. to 12.30. Contribution for morning meeting 3 euro (Coffee/Tea unclluded at Morning Meeting).

www.family history.ie
JMF
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi JMF

Is there any chance that the highlights of the talk might be included in the August issue of the GSI Gazette?

I am sure that there are many folk who who like to know the time scale for digitising the earlier records so that they can be searched for on line. (Personally, I am looking for a burial at Glasnevin in 1877! ;)).

HB
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
I went to the talk on Digitalisation project of Glasnevin recors.

I am very pleased to share news that the records of 1832 to 1900 are in process of being electronically scanned  in England and they will be available online by easter 2010.  The information will be a full record and you will be able also to get photographic copy of register entry. The records now available online  (for time period 1900 to present) took 10 years to transcribe by human hand but the present work is going to take 6 months.  Further work will be done on the 'angels plots' and the 'poor grounds'  and also Goldenbridge cemetery.  They have a record of every burial made in the cemetery even of small babies brought to the office and buried later in groups. 

Of course it will be at a cost of 5 euro per person or 10 for full information on others in same plot.  There  will also be a museum opened in 2010 which will have further search facilities such as one surname search or all the deaths due to a certain cause in a certain area in a certain year etc.

Glasnevin has up to 1.7 million records and .5 million are online now.  There are 800.000 in unmarked graves or 'poor grounds'.

Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILI
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that update Annie - this is very good news for those us searching for earlier ancestors in Glasnevin.  It sounds as if they have grand plans for the cemetery as well!

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 09:40 BST (UK) »
Even tho it is a 'private' graveyard, it is not run for profit.  Up to the 1930's money was donated to support schools and special schools in Dublin city and to subsidise those who could not afford full costs of burial.  In more recent times, money has  been used to buy land to establish new graveyards in other areas of Dublin.  The present round of work going on at the cemetery is quite amibitious with new offices and museum and restoration work on many of the neglected monuments.  They are also restoring pathways etc.  There will also be two new entrances to the graveyard, one being from the Botanic Gardens. 

So something else to look forward to - things are looking up for Irish researchers :) I am sure I have forebears there as found one buried 1899 and have a hunch earlier ones are there too.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Annie

Thank you for posting this.

HB
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile