Author Topic: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY  (Read 19013 times)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Oh dear!
Has anyone been in touch with Glasnevin Cemetery recently to enquire about the cost of a grave search?

Their web site is a little ambiguous in that an 'initial' search fee is €10, if that search then becomes 'successful'  the charge becomes €20 - is this an increase of €10 to make €20 or a further €20 on top of the original €10 thus making €30?

Anyway I called Glasnevin this afternoon and was told that the charge is now an incredible €40 with a wait of 6 to 8 weeks because of a backlog. (At that price, I imagine the backlog will disappear PDQ!)

Most of us appreciate that projects like this need funding and it is only right that one has to pay a fair price for information that one wants but ........................... ???

Have the folks that run Glasnevin been speaking with the folks that run the IFHF? I hope not, if so it won't win them many friends or do much for Irish genealogical tourism or will it?
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
I think thats a disgraceful fee,this is the same cemetery thats had a lot of funding from the government for a makeover.have you tried interment.net
or other rootschatters said they had ordered the microfilm of mount jerome registers from the L.D.S so I wonder if there are some for Glasnevin as well.
                                                                                     Anne

<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
I would also add that the 40 euro fee does not seem to add anything to the efficiency of their operation.  I paid 40 euro for a search a few months ago, and was told to expect 6-8 week wait.  I paid in person, at the cemetery office, and did not receive any receipt or other 'proof of purchase'.  Waited about three months and heard nothing, so I phoned them.  They had lost my request, but fortunately believed me when I explained I had already paid the 40 euro, and did the search for me within a couple of days.  Buyer beware!! ;)

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 23:21 BST (UK) »
Records after 1900 are 'online' and given a name and address can be easily searched. Surely this fee cannot apply to these records?  There is redevelopment work going on there at the moment and the office is relocated.  Apparantly all the older record books have been sent elsewhere while work underway and that is one reason for extra delay. 

I am not sure if you have a death cert with name, date and address that the same fee applies?  Would they do a 'general search' of say a 10 year period? All you want is the plot reference to locate a grave if it is in the cemetery.  I am looking for person I think died in 1880's and hope some time to find him there and perhaps some other information on other family members.

I did ask if they were working back from 1900 on the digitalisation and was told there was no plans for same.  If they were to undertake further work, it would be on the 70,000 (?) souls buried in communal plots.

Mt Jerome and Deans Grange are microfiched up to a certain year and available at research libraries but not Glasnevin.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
The search I had done was for an exact date of death and full address at time of death, but was from 1864, and they did tell me that graves before 1900 are not indexed.  However, they were able to phone me back with the plot number for the grave within 30 minutes, once I had assured them I had paid the 40 euro fee some months back.

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
That is too much! But they are a private cemetery and no doubt jumping on the bandwagon of genealogy interest.  I believe the new building works going on at the moment is to include a 'visitor centre'. I think there should be a lesser amount for unofficial record in that some need to be certified etc for legal reasons like the BMD register. Also for personal callers with full information. We should be encouraged to take an interest in old neglected graves.  I think Mount Jerome charges 10 euro.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 February 09 09:18 GMT (UK) »
For those of us with relatives buried (or thought to be buried) at Glasnevin you may like to visit their new web site at..................

http://www.funeralbooking.com/genealogy/ or the old one still works at................

http://www.glasnevin-cemetery.ie/

Glasnevin are now offering an on-line search facility, you have to email them first to open an account and 'load it' with 'credits', has anyone done this yet? I await their reply as to how this works.

I don't know when the 'new look' site went live, but it is a vast improvement on what it was before - they should be congratulated!
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 February 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
The new website looks quite good.
There is no mention of costs though!
I e-mailed them a week or two ago to discover details of my gr gr father John Edward Boshell who died in 1888.
I now see that the records available only go back to 1890 :-\
I don't think I will be paying 40 euro somehow!

When I made enquiries at Mount Jerome a couple of years ago, it cost me 10 euros. For that I received a large plan of the cemetery, with the number and section for the grave, the area highlighted, a list of who was in the grave, with dates, and the name and address of the owner of the grave! Seems good value now!

Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline irishfamilys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery - Grave Search Fees/NEW WEB SITE & SEARCH FACILITY
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
We are delighted to annouce our committment to extend this service to members of the public from 8th April 2009. From that date you will not require an account to search our archives.

Patrick Hogan