Author Topic: Photo dating help please  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Dallashandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Photo dating help please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, a bit of an update on this one ...

I've had a look at the original which is in the hands of my mum and the board is definitely brown. The photograph itself looks a bit sepia rather than properly black and white (ifyswim).

I was having a bit of a read around and I read that ladies did wear skirts/blouses to look like a dress in the 1890's so I'm wavering on the 1903 date.

Any ideas anyone? There is another possibility for who the people could be - although I'm not sure the photo is early enough. The lady was born 1848, her elder daughter 1873 and her son in  1880.

The only other thing I can think of is to find out about the photographer, unfortunately the edges are torn but it looks like ? Brown and I think the town is probably Newport, Shropshire. Does anyone know how I could find out what photographers were working in Newport and when?

Thanks for any help - this is driving me nuts, Mum's convinced that the baby is her dad but doesn't reckon the woman 'looks like' her Granny. If I could work out when it was it might help to clear it up!
MON: Davies, Rees, Jenkins
STS: Ridgway, Brough, Whitehouse
WOR: Wild(e), Freeman, Cartwright, Rudd
WAR: Ridgeway
SAL: Jones
NTT: Toon(e), Turner, Sheppard, Richards, Parnham
LEI: Toon(e), Smith
HRT: Kindell
MDX: Lillywhite
NFK: Tranter, Simons, Wright, Morgan