Author Topic: From Cork came the Meagan/magin family, however it was spelled!!  (Read 854 times)

Offline naranjas pocita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
From Cork came the Meagan/magin family, however it was spelled!!
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know how my mother's family name originally sounded or was spelled, this is partly where my probelm lies.  Since 1881 it has been spelled Meagan, but the earliest spelling in 1841 was Magin.  I imagine they were illiterate, so the enumerator would go by sound I expect.

My 3x gt grandfather migrated from Cork to Spittlefields/Whitechapel.  His name was John meagan (Magin) bn c1811.  John had a brother or cousin Maurice bn 1821.  They were both Tailors by trade. 

John married Sarah ?? and had the following children:  John 1836, Mary 1839 and James 1841.  They were supposedly born in Middlesex, but I can find not one record to confirm this, so assume they were born in Ireland and came over with their parents.  Sarah died and John remained in Spittlefields until his death in around 1870.

Maurice moved down to Bristol with his wife Margaret (from Tipperary.)  They had Lawrence 1851, Margaret 1854 and James 1856.

I don't know if any records exist for the imigration of the Irish into England prior to the Potato Famine, but I would very much like to know if this surname is on any such document, I don't actually know whether it is Cork City or  just County Cork they referred to.

Any help would be most graciously received.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: From Cork came the Meagan/magin family, however it was spelled!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no records were kept of people travelling from Ireland to England, Scotland or Wales as all were part of the U.K.

There will likely be someone here that can answer your question about the surname and Cork.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline naranjas pocita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: From Cork came the Meagan/magin family, however it was spelled!!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back so promptly.  I have imagined that would be the case.  Fingers crossed for something concrete after 6 years of searching.  I have been trying to find a one-name study, but wouldn't know what surname to try.  The original spelling was probably very different to the Anglosised version.