Author Topic: Conrads - Luxembourg  (Read 2162 times)

Offline carkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Conrads - Luxembourg
« on: Monday 27 October 08 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've hit a brick wall in my search for the father's ancestors.  He was Charles Campbell Conrad (born 1916 in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK - where I still live)

He told me his parents were from Luxembourg and the only facts/information I have is that his father was:

Charles Michael Conrad 
Birth 1883
Death 13 April 1923 (Age 40) Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
(I have his marriage and death cetificate but not his birth certificate)

Charles Michael Conrad had a sister:
Sophie Anna Conrad (Or Anna Sophie)
Birth 17 August 1885, Luxembourg
Death 10 September 1973 (Age 88) -- Greenwich, London, London, United Kingdom
(I have her marriage and death certificate but not her birth certificate)

Their parents are named as Jacques and Catherine Conrad of Luxembourg - but after many months of searching I can't find any information about where they were born, other relatives, where they lived or where they died.

I can only assume Jacques was born around 1850 -1865 based on the age of his children.

I'd really appreciate any assistance to help me find them or any other Conrads from Luxembourg.

Thanks
Carol King (Maiden name - Conrad)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conrads - Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 October 08 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

He told me his parents were from Luxembourg
Just to clarify (from your Tree website and other messages):
Charles Michael married Annie McLeod Campbell in 1908, in Scotland.....she was born in Leith, Edinburgh

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/214.htm?homepage=news
"News - 20 October 2008
The UK incoming passenger lists for 1878 to 1960 (series BT 26) have been launched online by Ancestry.co.uk.

Digitised in partnership with The National Archives, the records contain information on both immigrants and tourists who arrived in the UK by boat before the onset of commercial flights. Millions of Britons will find they have an ancestor listed in the collection, many of whom fared perilous sea voyages to reach British shores.

The passenger lists are for people arriving in the United Kingdom from ports outside of Europe and the Mediterranean and may include: name of passenger, their birth date or age, port of departure, port of arrival, date of arrival and vessel name. It is free to search the website, but there is a charge for viewing the full entry and downloading images of the passenger lists.

With the launch of the documents online, Roger Kershaw from The National Archives said: 'The partnership between The National Archives and Ancestry.co.uk has allowed us to digitise and publish online what is in our opinion one of the most significant collections in British immigration history.

If you can search this database you would also would possibly need to search surname as KONRAD and "Charles" as Karl or Chas. And , it's also possible Charles middle initial could be read as a W or N, rather than an M. they may even not have their full names listed, just initials, or Miss or Mr CONRAD.

And although it says above, in the Nat Archives quote:"arriving.....from ports outside of Europe and the Mediterranean"

there is also additional information on A***y  that says:
" Exceptions to this are vessels that originated outside of these areas but then picked up passengers in European or Mediterranean ports en route"

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conrads - Luxembourg
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 October 08 13:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.royalgenes.biz/soc.genealogy.britain/thread1182.html
 - Another of your messages? Mentions Forbach, a town on the border of France and Germany and not far from Luxembourg - it would be useful to have more info on this.

Do you have any info on the occupation of Jacques?
Have you tried http://www.deltgen.com/ ?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk