Author Topic: One wish  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
One wish
« on: Monday 27 October 08 14:09 GMT (UK) »
If you could have one FH wish, what would it be?

1) For a mysterious inheritance to appear for you (like from heir hunters or something)

2) A much searched for record miraculously appears.

3) The discovery of a new living relative

4) For more family history records to become available

5) To have one opportunity to time travel. Where would you go or who would you visit?

6) Something else (please specify)

Just thought it might be interesting to ask around :)

It has occured to me though that if I chose no 5, with Bradys in Ireland, Hines and Urwins near the Scottish border and Jones in Wales, if I went back to talk to ancestors I probably wouldn't understand a word they said  ::)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: One wish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 October 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't wish for number 1, I think most family historians are in it for the fun (although no doubt there are some will seekers). When I read number 2 I was about to choose that but then spotted number 5 - the ability to time travel. I would love that! I would visit Topsham in Devon (have become obsessed with it since my recent visit) and see how my ancestors were living  at that time- gt gt gt grandfather was a Mariner so may be away at sea (but I'd like to 'land' when he's there) his wife and daughter making lace. I'd like to time it for after the birth of gt grandfather. The old town has been very well preserved so the houses probably didn't look very different from outside but I'm sure they did inside! It would be fascinating to see their way of life.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 October 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Initially I went for 4 - more records available, so I could piece together more of my families history. But then realised 5 would be better, instead of relying on what records have survived about my ancestors, and my interperatation of them, maybe wrongly, I could actually meet the people myself! I would travel to various villages along the Sussex coast, especially stopping at Poling to chat to John and Elizabeth Edmonds about their family, their lifestyle, and to double check John's parentage with him!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 October 08 15:02 GMT (UK) »
No5. I would go armed with every device to record details from all my ancestors. 8)
Hopefully take more of a interest in it than the rest of my family over the centuries. ;)

Oh and keep an eye open for witch hunters ;D as no doubt we would be classed as one with our knowledge of the past and future. :o
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 October 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Of course, if you went back and met your ancestors you wouldn't know if they were telling the truth or not - especially as they would wonder who this lunatic was who popped up asking them lots of personal questions ;D ;D

I'd quite like to go back and visit my 3 x great grandfather's shop - I could hang around and meet all the locals from the village and get all the gossip that way.

Or visit my great grandfather in India where he served in the army for 12 years - and find out why no one in the family ever thought to mention it.

I'm patient enough to wait for new records - as I'd rather they were transcribed correctly rather than quickly ::)

I've been lucky enough to find some lovely living relatives already ..

And if course - if someone did pop up with a bit of an inheritance I wouldn't say no ;D ;D ;D ;D

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Definitely 5 - time travel.

I have a long list of people and times I need to visit ...

I like the idea of going to a village shop to get the gossip - that sounds better and much more convenient than confronting these people directly.  I think weddings would be good to go to too - all those people there.

I'd also like to ask Florence (see my avatar) to tell me something about herself.  Anything!  And then I'd like to talk to her husband, to find out his side of the story as to what Florence did so that nobody would talk about her ever after.

But it's not just dead people that I'd like answers from.  My grandfather's second wife is still alive (well, she's on the electoral roll), and I'd love her to tell me more about him and why he divorced my grandmother (rather than relying on the hearsay from the other side of the family).  I've written to her, but she didn't respond.  :'(

Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Most definitely 5.

I really need to go back to the Isle of White around 1750, if someone could oblige?  ;)
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 October 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Time travel.  I'd go back to the end of the Precambrian to witness the explosion of life forms.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
No.5. I'd find my g.g.grandmother and boy, oh, boy, would I have some questions for her!
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk