Author Topic: Thomas Heneghan/Hennigan  (Read 7206 times)

Offline sandysue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Heneghan/Hennigan
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is the first time I have posted on here, so please bear with me.  I am
trying to research my family history, and wondered if anyone could help me.
My great grandfather was born in Curnicarton Co Mayo in 1863, to Thomas
Heneghan and Bridget Hynes. William was their eldest child, the others being
Bridget 1865, Margaret 1867, Patrick 1870, Mary 1872, Honor 1876. William moved to Skipton, North Yorkshire, as he is on the 1891 UK Census as living with his cousin Margaret Preston(from Ireland) and living at Union Square, Skipton. In the 1901 UK Census William has married Elizabeth Ellen Tillotson, and they have a baby son, also Thomas.  The 1901 UK Census also shows
Thomas Snr living in Union Square with his niece, as Margaret had died in 1900.
I presume Thomas was in Skipton to work, and maybe see his new grandson,
Thomas was a plasterers labourer. I can't find any trace of Thomas after 1901,
either in the UK or Ireland.  William died in Skipton in 1931. I would be very grateful for any in formation. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Heneghan/Hennigan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. First of all, Honor Heneghan born 29 Jan.1877 Co, Mayo (not born 1876).
"I can't find any trace of Thomas after 1901, either in the UK or Ireland." where have you searched for Thomas? English and Irish death indexes? 1911 Irish census?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sandysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have searched on the English death index, I also used the Mayoancestors.com website, but I didin,t know which area of Mayo for them to search, and it is quite expensive paying to view these records..

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 08 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Curnicarton would be Cornacartan which is in Kilmaine RC parish. Thomas Heneghan married Bridget Hynes there in 1863.

Griffith's Valuation of the 1850's shows a William Hynes living in Cornacartan, so probably related to Bridget. Civil Parish Kilmainebeg.  http://www.mayoancestors.com/default.aspx?DepartmentID=MA&DepartmentIndex=2

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0 Will have the Irish BMD (started in 1864) indexes online very shortly one hears. Ballinrobe registration district, I think. Good luck.

Offline sandysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 December 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coolcam1 Thank you very much fo that information.  I think Bridget Hynes
was from Shrule, but if she had a realative in Curnicarton maybe that is why
she and Thomas moved there perhaps for work.  I just wish I could find where
Thomas was born. Thank you for your help :)

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 December 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Wish my family from Roscommon would show up - Bridget Hynes father was John. If she came from Shrule parish a Bridget was Baptised to John Hynes there in 1843.

Unless you know to the contrary, it's possible that Thomas Heneghan was from County Galway. Shrule and Kilmaine are on the border http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/mayorc.htm Heneghan families lived in the neighbouring parish of Donaghpatrick, if so he would predate the parish registers, but the same is true of many Mayo parishes.

Offline sandysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 December 08 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coolcam1 thanks for that, I hadn't really considered the possibility that Thomas may have been born in another county.  I will check it out.  It is very frustrating tracking down Irish ancestors!  So much easier if they had been English (unless they were called Smith)!!  Good luck with yours from Roscommon. :D

Offline sandysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 December 08 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coolcam1 thanks for that, I hadn't really considered the possibility that Thomas may have been born in another county.  I will check it out.  It is very frustrating tracking down Irish ancestors!  So much easier if they had been English (unless they were called Smith)!!  Good luck with yours from Roscommon. :D

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 October 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't know if you are still researching the Hennegans but I am tracing the Tolan family from Foxford Co Mayo and have found Patrick Tolan who married Bridget Hennegan b @ 1850 Co Mayo, she was the daughter of James Henegan and MAry Connelly (think).  Both the Hennegans and Tolans came over to West Yorkshire in middle 1800s.  Have you ever come across James Henegan or any line that would tie up with the family who lived in Gomersal West Yorkshire