Author Topic: They did this just to confuse me, didn't they?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
They did this just to confuse me, didn't they?
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Two 3 x great grandmothers - both called Margaret Forsyth, both born in Duffus, Morayshire, both somewhere between 1795 - 1800.

One of them was good enough to live until after 1855, so I have her sorted. She was the daughter of George Forsyth and Catherine McBeath. She married James Shaw and lived in Nairn until her death.

The second one married William Smith, in Nairn in 1813. By 1841 she was widowed, living in Nairn with her family, including her mother, Jane Forsyth, also widowed.
 In 1851, Margaret Smith ( nee Forsyth) is living in Nairn, this time with her married  daughter, Margaret Shaw ( her husband is the son of Margaret Forsyth no.1)

Unfortunately, I can find no sign of Margaret Smith in 1861, so have to assume she has died. Nor can I find a death for her after 1855. So no parents for this Margaret, except that her mother was called Jane ( Jean, Janet, or any other variation ).

I don't think that Margaret was badly off but I can find no will for her or for her husband and I believe the mort cloth records for Nairn no longer exist. Might there be a grave record?

If anyone can shed any light on Margaret's birth or death, I would be (probably) the most grateful person in the world!

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: They did this just to confuse me, didn't they?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
From SP: Margaret Forsyth, 26/11/1794 in Duffus, parents Robert Forsyth and Jean McKimmie.

The IGI shows the date as the christening date rather than birth.

hume24 :)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I had seen that one and it is certainly a strong contender.

I just don't want to assume that this is the right one without some other evidence or, better still, proof.

Thanks,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 October 08 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm beginning to like the Jean McKimmie/ Robert Forsyth option.

Just been looking at births and there is one for a Jean McKimmie, in Duffus, 1773. Father, William McKimmie, mother Margaret Forsyth.

Talk about keeping it all in the family!

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 08 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Have you tried purchasing the Nairn MI records? Link here: http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/acatalog/Nairnshire_MI.html, although I am not sure if that would cover all graveyards in the area. :-\ However, you may be lucky!

Also you could try checking the OPR records of William and Margaret's children. A relative of Margaret's may have been a witness when they were baptised.

hume24