Author Topic: Skewen Moths COMPLETED  (Read 9651 times)

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Skewen Moths
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi thomask,

There is a strong possibility that our tree is the same, so far anyway!............ let me know if you are interested and I will send you a PM and let you know,
Pip :)
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
thomask,

what can you tell me about George Moth?

I only know that he was married to my great grandmother Margaret Shaw and that he,  as the story goes, was killed when a so called bomb went off in Skewen and he hid beside a wall and was killed in the blast!  He must have brought up my grandfather and his siblings!

Anything you can tell me would be wonderful!

thank you

Pip :)

Offline thomask01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:08 GMT (UK) »
hi i was speaking to richard moth today, he says his father was killed  when he was going to the doctors  in skewen ,during the war ,when the house next door collapsed,he had two sons richard and peter ,they were then brought up by my gran annie darney at 1 new road skewen,he also said that his grandfather jack moth came to skewen when he was  bare nuckle boxer ,he used to box in the fairground booths,they say that the darneys were some family,i will contact you when i find any more info,if you want to contact me 

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith :),

you should take your number out of here,  you don't know who will contact you!

thank you so much for getting in touch - I think we should continue this by PM,  there are lots of things to tell/say here! I like the idea that he was a bare knuckle fighter!! - he would have to have been to be involved with the Darney's I think! ;D,  Our annual fair is a very big deal in the town, many remember the boxing booths on the old Bird in Hand Field on the site of the old civic centre, now demolished and a car park - more revenue for the council!!!

Or was it opposite the current Rugby Ground where George's Newsagents is?

Talk soon,

Pip :D

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Where did Richard's father live if the house next door collapsed?  My Dad remembers George being taken to the first aid centre at the bottom of PenyrAlley avenue by the chap who lived next door because he was a first aider and first at the scene?  I don't know the truth of this, there is much speculation here,

Pip :-\

Offline infinityann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip

Not sure if you're still checking here as the discussion is quite old - but, my father is Bartholomew Darney (son of Bartholomew and Margaret's eldest son).  I seem to remember him telling me that he was home on leave from the RAF when the accident happened and he was one of the first at the scene.  He still remembers a lot but it was a long, long time ago!!
Also, I was chatting to him the other day and he was saying he had really good memories of Mr Moth (Jack)
If you have any photos of the old people I would be really grateful.  I am currently researching all areas of the family (and also my husbands) so it's quite a task.  Any help would be gratefully received.
Infinityann :)

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 July 09 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi InfinityAnn,

Thank you for getting in touch.  I haven't checked this for a while, as like you, I am researching all my family tree.  I am always on the look out for photographs but I don't have many.  What I have I will gladly pass on.  If I can help in any way please ask and I'll try my best.  If you have any you could pass on that would be great too, I'll see what I can find,

happy hunting,

Offline infinityann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip

I have a few pictures - and various copies of documents that my Uncle has passed onto me but no pics of Granny Darney (Margaret) or Jack (George) Moth.  I think you have been chatting to Claire Darney?? and she probably has the same pictures that I do.  I havent been in touch with her but I know that my Uncle chats to her regularly.
My Dad has no pictures but lots of memories and I keep chatting to him about his young days as he remembers more and more as we talk.
I guess we are some sort of cousins as Margaret Darney was my Great Grandmother too!
Might take a trip back to Skewen soon to have a look round.  I have never been down to New Road or seen where the businesses were.  We did check out the cemetary quite a few years ago so I have seen where both Great Grandparents and my Grandfather are buried.
Is it possible to communicate offline?  This is the first time I have used Rootsweb!
Ann

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 July 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I shall send you a PM with my email address,

look forward to hearing from you,