Author Topic: Skewen Moths COMPLETED  (Read 9646 times)

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Skewen Moths COMPLETED
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 September 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi  :'(,

Just a note to tie up this thread and a big thank you to everyone who took the time out to read it.

It appears that it was George Moth's son, Philip George Moth, that was killed by an unexploded bomb in Skewen.  Apparently he was with a friend/family member in Skewen when the air raid warning went off. His friend went across the road to shelter but Philip George decided to crouch beside the wall.  The bomb went off the other side of the wall, collapsing on him.  One of the Darney Boys was home on leave from the Air Force (hope I got that bit right :-[) at the time and dragged him from underneath the rubble and took him to the first aid station that was at the bottom of Penyralley Avenue. 

His death certificate says he died aged 32 years on the 21st May 1941 'Due to War Operations'.  The informant was his father George Moth!

How very sad,

Pip :)
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline essexgirl2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skewen Moths COMPLETED
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 July 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Jan,

I have been reading your posts with interest!....I think  there are a few who have posted on this site that I might be related to.
My Great Grand mother was Margaret Shaw (Darney) and my  Grandfather was Thomas Darney.

I know these posts are old, but I have  only just started tracing the family,and came across this site by acccident.

So if anyone has any information of the  Darney family from Skewen
I would be very interested in communicating more and sharing information?

Kind regards
Jan

Offline infinityann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 July 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan
Nice to hear from you.  Margaret Moth was my Great Grandmother too - my Grandfather was Edward William (known as Billy).  Was your grandfather a twin (I have Annie as being born the same year)??
I have been piecing the family tree together as well (with help from my close family and a lot of help from another cousin who I havent met yet but hope to very soon).  Happy to share info with you - do you belong to any of the 'ancestry' websites?
Let me know if you want to chat further.
Ann

Offline infinityann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 July 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Jan, I should have said Margaret Shaw/Darney/Moth!!
Ann

Offline essexgirl2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 July 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Many thanks for replying, I was surprised to get a reply as the posts had been posted for such a long while,any way many thanks.  I do believe that my grandfather and Annie were twins. It's only since I have been doing the tree which has only been a couple of months, that memories from childhood are coming back and one of those is I'm sure they were twins.

The Darney is from my mother. Thomas and Violet had three children Raymond
Rosemarie(my mother) and Delphine sadly they have all past on.  I do belong to
Ancestry.co. I don't know much about the family,but I would like to keep in touch.
Many thanks once again,
Jan