Author Topic: Manchester's shame  (Read 3148 times)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester's shame
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 November 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Surely no reputable scrap dealer is going to melt these down without asking questions first ...

Diana, a native Mancunian in Chichester
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
You may very well find the plaques are stolen with the intent of selling them on (or indeed stolen to order) - keep an eye on the internet market places -  genealogist may know where to look and perhaps advise.
Runcorn Cheshire: Crosby
Runcorn Cheshire: Hampson
Cuerdley Lancs: Crosby
Hale Lancs: Crosby/Crosbie
Avening Glos: Minty
Bromham Wiltshire: Minty
Haughton Green Lancs: Pollitt
Hyde Cheshire: Middleton

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »

Oh Migky I'm so sorry, how upsetting .. !  :( :(

You live in a wonderful city and for all we know these people might not even have come from Manchester. Most of the crime where I live isn't committed by the locals.

As Jen has said if it's happening all over the country, it could be some kind of organised crime carried out by the low life from anywhere .. ?  :(

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:59 GMT (UK) »
It is not only a crime against Manchester but the whole of the country and to every man and family member who fought or died for our freedom.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the scum bags who stole the plaques would every do this?  >:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXd8AeZt1mc

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Migky

I have posted the song and film on to my Facebook, a great reminder. I work in the Trafford Centre and on Remembrance day many of our staff get abused for not serving them during the 2 mins silence. Fortunately, the majority of people do observe the silence. I also have to stress that it is not always young people who are the culprits!
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 November 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thankyou so much for posting that song it should  played to everyone.
Its a reminder  of the sacrifice that  was made for us all.

Val
Gibson  Rushton Woodcock Brownhill Marchant/Merchant  Watts  Coleman Hepworth Senior Robinson, Howard Woodall/Woodhall,  Dunbar, Reed/Read.  Allchurch, Rigney Shepherd

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Today i have to hang my head in shame at been a Mancunian. Today i was over in Phillips park cemetery searching for rootschatters family graves and taking picture, when i came across a T.V. crew over by the war memorial. I thought they had turned up to do a piece for remembrance sunday. it appeared not to be the case. When i asked where were some of the bronze plaques? I asked if they had been taken away for repairs or new names to be added, i was told no. They had infact been stolen. Can you believe that some low life scum had stolen them. I am sick to call my self a Mancunian. I pray they find the person or persons who did this and they don't just get away with a smack on the wrist. Words fail me i am the annoyed. I have to hold back on what i say as i know i will get my self banned if i put in word what i really feel about these people.
Migky
ayup micky,dont jump to conclusions,ime a die hard manc as well.
this crew aint local to anywhere,they will strike where ever theres bronze panels,no matter if they are war memorials or not,they tried to nick the bronze memorial,from princess rd bus depot the other day.
some of the naughty boys from my city,are going to make them a memorial panel of their own,when they find out who they are ;)

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Lets hope they get them before the police do  ;)
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones