Author Topic: Looking for more info please.  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Looking for more info please.
« on: Wednesday 05 November 08 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am hoping to find more information on the deaths and where abouts of these 3 brothers:-

Cpt. Alexander Ellice, Cameron Highlanders 5th Bn, d. 18/10/1916 France
2nd Leut. Andrew Robert Ellice, Grenadier Guards 4th Bn, d. 29/09/1916 France
and
William Ellice, Midshipman HMS Bulwark d. 26/11/1914

Many thanks in advance

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more info please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 13:18 GMT (UK) »
HMS Bulwark blew up accidently at Sheerness on that date:
http://www.nhcra-online.org/20c/bulwark.htm
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
all three are noted on the CWGC site the first two are both buried just south of Albert whilst William is noted on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. The one thing that struck me was the ages of all three 21. 18. & 15.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you both... i had found them on the cwgc. They were all so young, the poor parents!
I was hoping to find what battles they died in, i'm guessing war diaries are what i need.

So sad about the HMS Bulwark, so many dead.  :(
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you "click" on the cemetery details on their entries on CWGC site you  will find some more background details.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 16:20 GMT (UK) »
You can use this link to find out what the 5th/ Cameron Highlanders and 4th/ Grenadier Guards were doing on the dates in question. Once you have found the battalion you have to click on the underlined Division number.

As they both died in 1916 their medal index card will give the date they entered a theatre of war.

http://www.1914-1918.net/regiments.htm

Ken

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that

I have been trying to view their medal cards on ancestry all day but it keeps coming up with an error page!

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Penninah,
Alexander Ellice was the eldest son of Major Edward Charles Ellice of Invergarry and Glenquoich, and of Margaret Georgina Ellice. His father, who was formerly a Captain in the Grenadier Guards, and served in Lovat's Scouts in South Africa, rejoined the Grenadier Guards at the beginning of the war, and was appoinrted as Major to command the Guards Entrenching Battalion in France.
He was in the School from 1908 to 1912, and had his cap in 1912. On leaving Rugby he went to France to learn the language and entered a Chartered Accountant's Office in Paris. e was afterwards transferred to the London Ofice and passed and Examination for Chartered Accountants.
On the outbreak of war he joined the Cameron Highlanders and went to the front in May 1915. InSeptember, 1915, he was wounded at Loos, but returned to the Front in February 1916. He took part in the Battle of the Somme and went through the attack on Delville Wood. He was wounded by a shell at Eaucourt l'Abbaye on October 15th, and died of his wounds on October 18th, 1916. Age 21.
Cameron of Lochiel, who raised the 5th Cameron Highlanders and commanded them to begin with, wrote:-
"I got to know Sandy very well. He was just the typical example of all a boy should be. Quiet and shy and somewhat reserved, yet always perfectly at his ease and at home with everyone: keen and hard working with an extraordinarily high sense of duty. He had also an enormous fund of humour, which only came out among those who knew him well, and was always cheerful. I cannot tell you how I feel about his death. All his men were absolutely devoted to him. To me he is the last of my old officers that I really knew and cared for."
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a little more concerning this officer from his C.O. and the Chaplain, also the picture is a lot better without the resizing to fit the forum.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.