Author Topic: royal irish regiment  (Read 4473 times)

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
royal irish regiment
« on: Wednesday 05 November 08 19:52 GMT (UK) »
looking for information re/ michael fitzgerald  who enlisted with the  5th  Bn royal irish regiment service No 6014 in 1897 he was about 18 at the time  be grateful for any help .

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: royal irish regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 08:05 GMT (UK) »
The 5th Battalion of the RIR were a Militia battalion, based in Kilkenny. He would have served for about six weeks full-time once a year, being paid the same as a Regular, about 1s 1d a day. Here is a link to researching the Militia in Kew - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=26 with papers in WO96 being your best bet.

He may have served in the Boer War. The Militia (like other part-time battalions) were banned by law from serving overseas, so he would have enlisted into another regiment as a Regular, or a Regular battalion of the RIR. His number would have changed in both cases. If he did this a second set of papers may be in WO97. See - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

It is also possible that he enlisted into one of the dozens of irregular mounted infantry units created in late 1899/early 1900. If he was discharged from the Militia to fight in the Boer War, his Militia papers should say which unit he joined, as he would have had to obtain their permission.

All these papers are original documents, so you will have to visit Kew or employ a researcher. I would imagine that Michael Fitzgerald was fairly common so knowing his place of birth and/or NoK will be needed when researching him after he left the Militia.

You seem to have a lot of information already. Can you say where it comes from?

Ken

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 08 17:32 GMT (UK) »
my son went on line to ancestry  that information he came across I been researching my grandfather military  history  you see my grandfather  was a Sergeant with the royal irish regiment  he was sent to france 1n 1914   on his release from a POW camp was posted to royal fusiliers as a Private he was in the army  and died in 1920 most of his records were lost  in ww2 that we do know   could this be the one and same person. many thanks for replying...

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 08 07:49 GMT (UK) »
There is a discrepancy with some of the information you have. The 5th Battalion; the number 6014 and an enlistment date of 1897, do not add up. I have checked a few enlistments in the 5th Battalion and found:

= 1995 joined 20 May 1895
= 2148 joined 15 July 1896
= 3493 joined 19 July 1898
= 4946 joined 7 June 1906

Numbers around 6014 were used by Regulars during the Boer War and, as suspected, there are lots of M Fitzgeralds, but I could not find one with the number 6014 on the medal roll. Can you say where the information comes from, and if possible post a scan?

It could be that he was a Regular who was later transferred to the permanent staff of the 5th Bn to help train the Militia. Or he may have been a Regular, but did not go to South Africa.

You really need to research what he was doing before WW1, as this will effect what records exist/existed. Records are filed according to date of discharge. If there was a break in service there will be two sets. But if he served from 1897 to 1920 there will only be one. A Regular enlisting in 1897, assuming he was over 18, would normally have been discharged in 1909.

So any certificates from this time that give his occupation will help. Also, any photographs showing medals or just the ribbons would also help.

Ken

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 November 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for your reply I appreciate your help re/this topic we have his medal card it gives his regiments  Nos 5915/140437 could the No I posted was only the no of the form when he enlisted I went on line to ansctery I typed the No above up came a short service page  giveing his name /adress  and country of origan plus the dated he enlisted  6/3//1897  hope we can get a satisfactory outcome on this  ....
regards
Irish.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 November 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irish

You need to back-track on your last post about the number 6014.

A Michael Fitzgerald enlisted as a Regular on 6 March 1897 with the number 6014. He was aged 18 years 6 mths. He had previously been in the 5th (Militia) Battalion, in which he had enlisted on 15 July 1896, when he was 17 years 0 mths, and given the number 2148.

Before we get exited we need to confirm we have the right Michael. His address was 6 Brown Lane, New Street, Waterford. He was born in the parish of St John, Waterford, and was a Groom.

His mother was called Margaret and he had a younger brother called Patrick, and a younger step-sister called Ellen O’Donnell.

I got this from the “WW1” Service Records on Ancestry. It appears to have been miss-filed as there is no information about WW1. There is also a note saying he re-enlisted in the 3rd Battalion of the RIR in May 1911. This was another Militia/Special Reserve battalion.

There may be another set of papers on Ancestry for his WW1 service.

Ken

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 November 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
I can confirm  my grandfather michael fitzgerald was from browns lane also my grandmother live there  his father was patrick and his mother was margaret  not much information re/ the rest of his family there was a Brother I belived he also was in the army ? his name would have been patrick  ken many thanks for all your help  if you need more informationre/michael I will only to happy to pass it on to you
regards
Irish....

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 08 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you downloaded his service record from Ancestry? They are providing free access until the end of the month.

Ken

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 08 17:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your e-mail I have tried a new search but still cannot get any more information only what I have - medal card and short service record and death cert.

I cannot get any more information regarding his three regiment numbers 2148 5915 6014 any further help would be most helpful

regards

Irish.