Author Topic: Joseph Eakins - birth records Kingstown  (Read 5606 times)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph Eakins - birth records Kingstown
« on: Thursday 06 November 08 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you,

My gt grandfather, Joseph Eakins, died on 16/09/1916 at the Somme, part of the 7th Bat Royal Irish Rifles. I've not been able to obtain his age when he died as he only has a commemorative plaque at Thiepval, France. So I have no details of his parents or his siblings ???.

All I know from my late nan, is that Joseph was born in Kingstown, Dublin, and later moved to Belfast where he married a Mary Devlin.

If any one would be so kind to see if there is a birth record/year for him in Dublin, I'd be most indebted to you.

Kind regards
Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Eakins - birth records Kingstown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Dublin 1911 census is on line at www.census.nationalarchives.ie but I only see one Joseph Eakins - and he is only one year old. Most of the Eakins families listed live in the city centre.

Parish transcripts for South County Dublin are available on the pay-site www.irish-roots.net which include births up to about 1900 - but no Joseph Eakins is listed there either. Just one Eakin birth - a James in 1817, also a Jane Akings born 1741. (the index search is free)

I suppose Joseph could have been baptised in a church in nearby Bray parish which is Co. Wicklow, these records are not available on line at this site yet but are due later this year.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:25 GMT (UK) »
He was 18 years old when he died:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1649241

Father's address in Belfast is given.

Added: this Joseph Eakins died 10 Sept.1916. and belonged to Royal Irish Fusiliers.
1911 census for Co. Antrim is supposed to be put online in December 2008:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Theres a second Joseph, age unknown, mentioned on that site which I assumed was the one in question - as it mentions the memorial at  THIEPVAL.

Rifleman   5576   
Date 06/09/1916    
age Unknown   
Royal Irish Rifles   
United Kingdom   
Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B.   
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Shane

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:39 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for your posts.

To aghadowey -  thanks for looking for his age at death. I should have added that my nan was born in 1905, which would make Jospeh a little to young to be her father but thanks for looking for me, and also the site that comes on line in December - I've diarised that and onstand by!

Shane - thanks for looking at the Dublin records - his birth records seems pretty much elusive but I appreciate your help here. As for the memorial details, that's definitely him - if only they could have inserted his age!

Thanks again to you both.

Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Mcvitie- am wondering what the source was for your original information:
Joseph Eakins, died on 16/09/1916 at the Somme, part of the 7th Bat Royal Irish Rifles. I've not been able to obtain his age when he died as he only has a commemorative plaque at Thiepval, France.

The more likely record that shane found  lists date of death as 6th Sept.1916 not 16th Sept.

It might be that Joseph's death was mentioned in one of the Belfast papers like the Newsletter but it would take a while to go through back issues to search for it and might only have been a mention of his name, serial number and the date as there were so many deaths at that time.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi aghadowey

I'm afraid my typing is not up to much - indeed it should have read 6th Sept 1916, not 16th - thanks for spotting that.

I was wondering about the newspapers and what info that may contain - it would as you say be a time consuming task, but may be worth the effort,if only to get his age.

I did obtain a copy of his marraige cert on-line, but it only showed his age as 'FA', meaning he was at the legal age of 21 to marry, but no other details like parents names etc were provided.

Kind regards
Mcvitie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
hopefully he'll show up on the 1911 census for Belfast when than goes onlinelater this year  - then at least you'll have an age and county of birth for him.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Indeed Shane - also thinking about it, I'm wondering why I haven't tried the 1901 census - maybe I did, and couldn't find him - I'll have to go through my notes on him again!

Cheers
Mcvitie