Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Provost Mercer?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone heard of Provost Mercer?
« on: Thursday 06 November 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. 

I was told a long time ago, that one of my ancesters was Lord Provost (or something similar) in the Peebles or Galashiels area.

He was a Mercer, and the only one I know of who lived in Peebles, so far, is an Andrew Mercer.  I can't find any evidence of him being the Lord Provost of anywhere, but perhaps he was on the council or something.  It could have been one of his children.

Has anyone ever heard of him?  If not, can anyone suggest where I should search to find out?

Thanks
Janice

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Provost Mercer?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice

Noticed your post whilst browsing. I can point you in the direction of where you may get some assistance to trace your ancestor. The local authority have an archive and they can be contacted if you go to the website www.scotsborders.gov.uk or you could try the Borders family History Society on www.bordersfhs.org.uk

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Dex

Thanks for your information.  I had given up on ever getting anywhere on this one.

It is much appreciated.

regards
Janice

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but the 'Scran' website has 2 photos of a Provost George Mercer, Galashiels. The one of him at the Braw Lad's Gathering, dated 1939, says that he was Provost between 1934-1940. Just doing a search on Mercer Galashiels you will find that they were big in the woollen industry.
Rae

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
Brilliant !  Thanks a lot.

"I am on the trail"

best wishes
Janice

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Here's another snippet about George Mercer.It's from an old book"Scottish Biographies 1938"
"MERCER,George,J.P. 3 Scott Crescent,Galashiels,Selkirkshire. b.1872,Galashiels. s.of late James Mercer. ed.Edinburgh Institution. Councillor,Burgh of Galashiels,since 1923; Provost,since 1935:Convenor of Finance Committee of Selkirk County Council,since 1935."
There are only 2 other Mercers in the book.They are; John Swan Mercer & Walter Mercer.  Let me know if they are your relatives & I'll look them up for you as well.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Flst, Dex, Excel

Thank you all very much for your help, and for taking the trouble to get this information for me. 

I now think that it was just a family story, and don't think that George Mercer had anything to do with our Mercer family.

My relation Andrew was born in 1866 in Bo'Ness, and had a son James S Mercer in 1900.

This doesn't fit in with Provost George's father called James as he must have been born much earlier.

I have chased up all the leads you have given me, and appreciate all your help and information.  However, I now think I have been on a wild goose chase from the start.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Janice