Author Topic: Royal Flying Corps. Records  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Flying Corps. Records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

I was able to download my late Uncle's WW1 RFC Service Record on-line from the National Archives Site.

His Surname was Wilson, and I was able to search by name from the Links shown on here.

The Catalogue Reference was: AIR/76/554

If I remember correctly, you have to pay £3.50 by credit card to download, - they are in PDF format.

Good Luck!
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady

One of the prisoners made him a fabulous 4engraved matchbox cover depicting a German plane on one side and the other reads 269335 DA Logan RAF on the other.

He also brough back postcards that my grandmother had sent to him whilst serving. We think he was near Rouen, France.

Regards
Magian

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 February 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Magian
I think you need to get his RAF record he may have been originally RFC but didnt go overseas til after April 1918 when he was RAF there fore probably wont show up in MICs

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 February 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »

Re my last Post...possibly it was easier to find my late Uncle's Service Record because he was an Officer.

Having said that, I found the Archivist at The Fleet Air Arm Museum extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the RFC...& it might be worthwhile to contact her. See:

http://www.fleetairarm.com/

For some strange reason the FAARM also held records on my late father & two of his brothers who were all in the RNR during WW1!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 February 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glen,
The service records for other ranks, who served in the RFC in WWI are quite scarce. I had tried to locate his service and pension records through Ancestry, but without any luck.
Here are the details that I have on Cpl. 8183 George Henry FURNEAUX, born 11 Feb. 1883 in Torquay. He died 4 Jan 1918 and is buried at Doullens Comm. Cemetery Ext. No. 1. On his death certificate it gives his rank as Corporal 1 A.D. [which I think means No1 Air Depot at St. Omer, France], he died of Pneumonia.
If you can find any of his records, I should be very grateful,
thank you,
Brian

Hello Brian

Not having much luck finding anything other than his medal index card.  :(

He was awarded the British War and Victory Medals and didn't go abroad until 1916.

If you haven't tried it already, might be worth asking the Great War Forum aerial section http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25 to at least clarify the 1AD description.

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Ady
Romilly gave me the link earlier and this has caused some confusion - they have him resigning his commission in 1917 (6 months after signing up!). Everything to do with the Logan family is confusing.
Magian

Offline Tarnwater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glen,
Thank you for trying to find out more about George Henry FURNEAUX. I managed to get his Medal Index Card, as you say, he was awarded the British and Victory Medal, sadly they were returned unclaimed. Can you tell me how you found out that he didn't go abroad until 1916. I have registered on the Great War Forum site, and will enquire about 1A.D.
Brian
PRITCHARD[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE
EVANS[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE]
SLOAN/SLOANE[CAERNARVONSHIRE]
WILLIAMS[Caernarvonshire]
JONES[Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]
ROBERTS[Caernarvonshire]
TODD[ANTRIM]
McNEILL[Antrim]
FURNEAUX[DEVON]
SKINNER[DEVON]
WEST[Devon]
SANDERS/SAUNDERS[DEVON]
WEBBER[Devon]
BARRET[Devon]
POPE[Devon]
EDWARDS [Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This link - http://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm - takes you to the R.A.F contacts page. In summary though, WW1 R.A.F records and those for the RFC and RNAS are held at the National Archives, post WW1 records for the R.A.F are held now at Cranwell following the closure of R.A.F Innsworth as a records office.

Hope that helps.
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 February 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian,

If he had gone overseas before the beginning of 1916, he would also have been awarded the 1914/15 Star.

What is the correction to the CWGC entry that you are looking to make?

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk