Author Topic: CROWTHER WILKINSON  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Elli8982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CROWTHER WILKINSON
« on: Friday 07 November 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information on the Crowther Wilkinson family. George William Crowther Wilkinson was born 24 Jan 1843 in Birmingham, England and died 14 Mar 1914 in Bangor, Wales. I have information that he was a Sargent Major when he died and could have possibly changed his name from just Crowther to Crowther Wilkinson but have no other information than that. He married Maria Pullen in 1877 in Portsea and had 4 children that I definitely know of: Private Arthur Edward Crowther Wilkinson, 43959, who was born in 1880 in Bangor, Wales and was killed in action 28 Feb 1917 in Arras France; Gunner Herbert Crowther Wilkinson, 30282, who was born in 1884 in Bangor, Wales and was killed in action 7 Nov 1918 in Belgium; Frank Pullen Crowther Wilkinson who was born 1887 in Bangor, Wales and died 1973 in Australia and George Harry Crowther Wilkinson who was born 1879 in Bangor, Wales and died 1930 in Portland. I cannot seem to find any information as to when or why George William moved from Birmingham to Wales. Also unable to find any more information on Frank Pullen who moved to Australia.
Any help would be appreciated.
Elli
West (Rutland, Yorkshire)
Bentley (Rutland, Yorkshire)
Browett (Rutland)
Adcock (Rutland)
Gregg (Rutland)
Veazey/Veasey (Rutland)
Pettifer (Rutland)
Hughes (Denbighshire, Rutland)
Palmer (Rutland, Leicestershire)
Bryan (Rutland, Leicestershire)
Stubbs (Rutland, Leicestershire)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: CROWTHER WILKINSON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 08 12:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a George W Wilkinson on the 1871 census aged 26 and a Corporal in the R M Artillery (i'm not a military person so I don't know whether this makes sense!).  Birth place is BIrmingham, and he is listed as being at the North Barracks, Walmer, Kent.  RG10/1005/66/8

Then on the 1881 census George W Wilkinson is living with wife Maria and son George.  George senior is a Sergt R M A drill instructor, so I am relatively confident that this is the same person as above.  RG11/5575/82/39

Forgot to add the point I was trying to make! Which is that it looks like his move to Bangor may have been to do with his job, and so perhaps his service card would give a reason for a move.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look on the National Archives website, and service papers for the Royal Marine Artillery are catalogued at ADM 159/20.  They are an open document but take 3 days to produce.

Offline Elli8982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
I'm probably being really inexperienced here but I have never used the National Archives website before - what does ADM 159/20 relate to?
Browett (Rutland)
Adcock (Rutland)
Gregg (Rutland)
Veazey/Veasey (Rutland)
Pettifer (Rutland)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Piece details ADM 159/20
ADM  Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Division within ADM  Records of Royal Marines
ADM 159  Admiralty: Royal Marines: Registers of Service
Subseries within ADM 159  Royal Marine Artillery

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 08 05:17 GMT (UK) »
This caught my eye because I went to school in Sydney (quite near Parramatta) with a girl who was a Crowther-Wilkinson.

If you go to the National Archives of Australia website,

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

and click on RecordSearch, then type in "Crowther-Wilkinson", select "Phrase" from the drop-down menu, and hit "search" ... you'll find enlistment records for Herbert George (b. Birmingham 13.6.1919, enlisted Cowra NSW, NOK Crowther-Wilkinson, Ruby), William (b. Birmingham 27.5.1920, enlisted Parramatta NSW, NOK Crowther-Wilkinson, Gladys), and Frank (b. Birmingham 5.5.1921, enlisted Leppington NSW, NOK Crowther-Wilkinson, Frank).

None of these has yet been digitised for viewing online, but you can probably apply for copies by using the reference numbers listed.

Also found Frank's death registration (can send you the registration number if you wish to apply for a copy of the certificate) on the NSW BDMs website, : - this gives his parents as George William and Maria.  Additionally, there's a death registration for Fanny Crowther-Wilkinson (aged 76, father William) who died in 1967.

Hope this is some sort of help  :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Elli8982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 November 08 07:18 GMT (UK) »
That is brilliant, it has given me a lot of help thanks. Now I just need to see whether I can find out when they moved to Australia.

Thanks a lot.

Elli
Browett (Rutland)
Adcock (Rutland)
Gregg (Rutland)
Veazey/Veasey (Rutland)
Pettifer (Rutland)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 November 08 11:13 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD brings up a marriage for Frank P and Fanny Bunn, in Aston, in the March quarter of 1918 - looks like the family moved back to the Birmingham area after George William's death.

Findmypast.com shows Frank, wife Fanny, children William, Herbert George and Frank Jr arriving in 1925 ...  Frank & Fanny appear on the 1930 and 1936 NSW Voter Lists, living in Granville NSW (my old stomping ground lol).

Have also found marriages for William, to Gladys Lavinia Bartholomew, in Granville in 1942 and Herbert George to Ruby Burkett at Concord in 1943.  Can't find anything for Frank Jr as yet, though.
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Elli8982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 November 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Deb D that brilliant.

Something else that I have stumbled on is where is George William in 1861? I have serached every census record I can find to locate him and he doesn't seem to be anywhere. I have found that I think his mother died in 1852 and his father in 1859, his sister was staying with their aunt and his brother was a lodger with the Evans family but I cannot find George or his other brothers anywhere. Wondering whether he enlisted earlier than he should have for his age????
Browett (Rutland)
Adcock (Rutland)
Gregg (Rutland)
Veazey/Veasey (Rutland)
Pettifer (Rutland)