Author Topic: Blenman family  (Read 5653 times)

Offline stararbour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blenman family
« on: Friday 07 November 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
hello . My great grandmothers maiden name is Emily Blenman. She may have been born about 1874. I think she may have been Irish but moved to London as a child? Or maybe  as a young woman ? I can find no info about her on the English Census untill 1901 when she is married to my great grandfather . Has anyone any info on the Blenman family that might contain an Emily? Or any advice where to look further? many thanks.
Taylor, Blenman, Kelsey, Fuller

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blenman family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. 'Emily Blenman' is probably not a common name in Ireland but it might be difficult to find her without more details to start with.
What does the 1901 census list as her birthplace?- 'Ireland'? Where was she living in 1901?
What was her husband's name? Do you have her marriage certificate? if so, what is listed for her father's name and occupation?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stararbour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 she is living in Woolwich (greenwich london) with Edwin W Taylor. Birth place listed as Sheperdsbush ( i'm not sure this is correct or true). I dont have a marriage cert. How would i find one?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Emily L. Blenman m.1915 Southwark Greater London to Edwin W. Taylor- could this be the marriage?

Possibly Emily in 1881 (www.familysearch.org):
Emily Blenman, age 2, born Hammersmith Middlesex England, daughter of Charles and Louise

Offline stararbour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply. I think the marriage is not the right one as they had about 9 children by 1915. The Emily who is in the 1881 Census  i have looked at and considered many times ...but on the 1901 Census Emily lists herself as 27 years old ( so born about 1874 ) , which makes her too old for the Emily who is 2 in 1881. My great uncle said she had an irish accent. This is why i seem to have come to a difficult point in my research.........

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Having an 'Irish accent' doesn't mean she was born in Ireland- perhaps it was her parents who were born in Ireland.
Think that you really need to find the marriage to get any further back. Certainly you will need more details to start searching in Ireland.

Offline nerak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  My friend has recently asked me to help trace her family tree and by coincidence, I have found exactly the same names as yourself so you and her must be related and I have joined this site.  I could also not find a marriage for Emily Blenman and Edwin Walter Taylor, and like yourself found that Emily always put her place of birth as Shepherds Bush consistently right through to the 1911 census.  I am wondering if she is the child of Charles George Blenman and Louisa who are on the 1881 census as you have considered in the past.  The names of these parents, Charles and Louisa, also appear in the childrens names that Edwin and Emily had. Maybe Emily too gave herself a slightly different age on census returns so that she would not appear older than her husband (only a guess though). 

Offline nerak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, It's me again, please forget the suggestion about ordering the wedding cert for 1915 and the late marriage, I might well be wrong and have to go back to the drawing board on that. I noticed on this site that someone else (2006), has also been going down the same line and they think that the Edwin who married in 1915's father was called Edward.  This is all very confusing so I'm going to go back to square one.  So sorry!.

Offline stararbour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 09:54 GMT (UK) »
dont go back too square one !! Emily Blenham is the right one i ordered the marriage cert. She lied about her age  , on all the census !! and had children quite young. I know the details of the taylor family better and was able to cross reference the marriage cert. I must be related to your friend, ..are they related to one of the Taylor children born to Emily and Edwin ?? Good luck with your research, it can be so tricky !! :)