Author Topic: Naturalisation Records at Kew  (Read 1008 times)

Offline KerryEL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naturalisation Records at Kew
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I have found alien naturalisation papers which could possibly be for my elusive relative.  I realise they are closed for 100 due to personal sensitive information, but can anyone tell me is it closed for 100 years from the date shown on the record??

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalisation Records at Kew
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I believe so, yes.  But if you are a direct descendant, then you can also apply for a "review" to see if the closure rule can be relaxed for you.

My cousin managed to get copies of her Grandfather's papers this way.  I found the reference, and told her where to look, etc, but I wouldn't have been able to get these papers myself.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline KerryEL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalisation Records at Kew
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I have now applied for a review as the record dates from 1 jan 1906 - 31 dec 1943, it says 'contains sensitive personal information which would sustantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants' under the Lord Chancellor's Instrument dated 22 feb 2002.  It has the date of opening as 1 jan 2044.  Do all the naturalisation's be closed because of sensitive personal information??  Or could mine descendants hold something we might not like?!