Author Topic: Marriage while in army – 64th regiment of foot – circa 1847-49  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Cherrian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage while in army – 64th regiment of foot – circa 1847-49
« on: Monday 10 November 08 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Apologies if a request like this has already appeared – came across this board only yesterday.

Can anyone tell me how I might trace the marriage of an Irish private in the 64th regiment of foot around 1847-49?

I think he must have got married in Ireland before he left for India with his regiment in January 1849.  His first child was born in Bombay in July 1849.

From other posts I have read (sorry don’t know how to link), I assume he must have had regimental consent to the marriage, as his wife seems to have travelled with him to India and their children were all baptised by RC army chaplains in India.  Would this consent be recorded anywhere?

I have assumed his wife was also Irish, as the children were all baptised RC, but don’t know for sure, as I have not found her in any census return after his discharge from the army in 1859.

If he did get married in Ireland, would he most likely have been married by an army chaplain or at a local RC church?  If by a chaplain, where might I find records?  If at a local church, would he have needed leave?  Where is a good place to look for church records in Ireland?

All help very welcome as I’ve got to a dead end with this particular ancestor.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage while in army – 64th regiment of foot – circa 1847-49
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 08 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cherrian

I had an ancestor in Lancashire and I couldn't find the marriage anywhere! 
He was in the army. 

I eventually found a possible marriage on IGI - in Ireland!
Sure enough, it was the correct one.  I sent to Dublin for a cert, not knowing where in Ireland it took place (the IGI only said Ireland) and they searched and found in in Co. Cavan!

There is a site called The Genealogist who have a lot of army and overseas records on it.  You can subscribe or pay per view.  You might find something on there.

Good luck

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cherrian, could you give us the name of who you are looking for?
Census Information Crown

Offline Cherrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandgrounder and Steve

Thanks for responding.

Sandgrounder, I have tried the IGI - no joy with the marriage but I did find three of the children born in India.

Steve, his name was John O'Day and his wife was Johanna or Joanna (1827ish - 1869).  He was born in Killaloe, Clare around 1818, joined the army in 1837, pensioned off in 1859, went to ground for a few years (not in 1861 census for England, Scotland or Wales that I have been able to find) and resurfaced in Burton upon Trent, Staffs by 1865 when he and Johanna had another child.  Died there in 1885. That is about all I know about him.

Cherrian

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cherrian

Irish BMD registration didn’t start to 1864 so regimental registers are your only option. Findmypast also provide access to the lists. But they are not complete.

I have found that the 64th Foot were here in Ireland:

= 1846 Dublin
= 1847 Kilkenny
= 1848 Limerick
= 1849 Clonmel

If you have the birth certificate from 1865 I take it you have her maiden name?

Ken

Offline Cherrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.

No I don't have Johanna's maiden name - it's not on the 1865 birth certificate or her death certificate.

I've been in touch with the GRO and they have checked their registers of army marriages and marriages overseas for me and also with the archivist for the Staffordshire Regiment Museum.  Nothing turned up with either of them.

So then I wondered if they might have got married in Ireland - either by the army chaplain (but then surely I would have found it in the chaplains' returns?) or at a local church.  If marriages were not registered until 1864, does that mean trying to find local parish registers?

Cherrian

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again

By 'leave' do you you mean permision to marry, or leave meaning furlough? I would say yes to getting permission, but not to needing furlough. He could have done it by taking a few hours off. The reason I posted the towns he was at was so you can start checking the parish records.

From the birth of his son I suggest you start with Limerick and then Kilkenny, and hope it was not in Dublin. I would start by posting questions on the Co Limerick and Co. Kilkenny sites on the Forum.

A few words of warning: the army recorded virually no FH information - about wives and children - so his service papers and Muster Books etc will not help you. It is not until 20-30 years later that such information was recorded.

If a soldier died, his widow more often that not would re-marry another soldier. It was either that or the Workhouse after the regiment had paid for her transport back to her home parish. Once you have her age you may be able to discount that, but until then, it is worth bearing in mind.

Also, she may have been a non-Catholic and converted when she married.

Ken

Offline Cherrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thanks again.

I will try the Co Limerick and Co Kilkenny boards.

Cherrian

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I have found some info which might be of use to you.  However, as it contains an e-mail address I will send you a private message.

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport