Author Topic: can you trace this woman backwards  (Read 4376 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: can you trace this woman backwards
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 13:11 GMT (UK) »
hi jeannie
thanks for your help so far

what we have so far then is

in 1848 dinah goodall marries mark webster
in 1851 they are in york and have jane blakely living with them shown as an aunt

in 1855 there is a christening for john goodall mother jane goodall

in 1857 jane goodall marries william fletcher, jane's father is shown as george goodall.

in 1861 william fletcher are living in hound st york and dinah webster is living with them also step son john goodall

in 1871 william and jane, son george henry 4 and dinah webster are living in lawrence st york. 4 doors away lives william wilson and his family. 3 doors away live the martin family.

in 1881 dinah webster is in york workhouse.
there is a jane f living with william wilson in copelands yard cottage, they have 2 boarders staying with them.
if this is the same jane then she has put the wrong age on this census

in 1883 there is a marriage for jane goodall to william wilson at escrick a village just out side york.

in 1891 william wilson and jane fletcher both shown as married are living in 62 elmwood st york.
there is a family called clark living with them and john martin 16 a nephew.

john in 1881 is shown as a son to the family that william lived next door to and jane 3 doors away in 1871

there is a marriage for jane fletcher to thomas oxberry june q 1896

there is a death for william wilson sep q 1896

in 1901 jane and thomas oxberry are living at 62 elmwood st york also there is thomas oxberry 18 grandson, richard scott nephew 26 and jane martin niece 12.

if it is the same jane all the way through, i cant find deaths for her husbands before she got remarried.
i cant find jane or dinah her mother in 1841

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again.....

I have searched and better searched for Dinah and Jane on the 1841 with no Luck.

My thoughts are.......

Jane is Dinah's  illegitimate daughter . Dinah  may have been sent away to Pickering to give birth, but brought Jane up elsewhere...

Dinah marries Mark Webster , I think he died c1853 , which is why mum is living with Jane and William on the 1861/1871 census

I think that John Goodall , was also illegitimate.

I am not certain that the Jane F living with William Wilson on the 1881 , is your girl . Why would she revert to her previous married name on the 1891 census ? I will try to find this marriage , and the death of Jane F

The marriage for William Wilson to Jane Goodall in 1883 at Escrick , is not relevent at all . The Jane who married was born at Escrick c1864 and is living with her William , at North Ferriby in 1891.

I think we have the "correct" Jane Fletcher in 1891 , but she is just a housekeeper. If William was ill , perhaps she married Mr Oxberry , to give her a home . I also think we should find William Fletchers death......

Still can't see where the Martin's fit in!! Perhaps they just took pity on the family .

I must do my ironing now, but will see what else I can find later.

Regards

Jeannie

Have you got the marriage certificate for jane and William 1857 ? If not ,  how did you know her father was George Goodall ?

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
im glad your picking holes in it jeannie, the father came from the marriage of jane to william wilson. its on igi.
i am sending for the cert for jane and thomas
i could go with you on the martin family if they were just on the 1891 census but they are on the 1901 aswell, if they where related to william wilson  as i think they are why is jane martin shown as a niece when william has by all probability been dead for 5 years.
dinah was from fairburn and christened in ledsham 12/1/1812  father charles goodall

yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Perth.......

Just going to say g'day to my poor husband !

I have also found the baptism of Dinah , father Charles....but she too was illegitimate !!

I am not very technical , but will have a go at copying the parish record tomorrow.....

I will see about the Martins also.....There will be a clue somewhere, and I will try a different census transcription...not everything is on IGI and Ancestry.......

Now for a tinnie!

Regards

JeannieR

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martyn.......

Hopefully , there should be a attached image.........
That do's not look very good to me.......I would be happy to send by email, if you ket me have your address

JeannieR

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 November 08 12:15 GMT (UK) »
hi

thanks for the image jeannie. i had forgot that ancestry had some parish records online.
i will send for the first cert and see what happens.
im off on hols now for the next 9 days ;D ;D

yorkshire

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
so
i have the marriage cert for thomas and jane
thomas looks like the right one definately
jane is shown as a widow, father john goodall chimney sweep, deceased.
the 2 witness's are w wilson and fanny wilson

it doesnt give any other names for jane from her previous marriage.
at least we know her name is probably goodall.

yorkshire

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perth.....

Hope you had a good holiday..

My thinking is, that Jane made up her father's name and occupation for her marriage certificate. It was quite common, if some one was illigitemate....

We have her mother, Dinah , base born daughter of Charles. Dinah must have given birth herself , when she was about 18 years old. Had she married the father , Jane's surname would not have been Goodall. It would be interesting to know , what name and occupation , she gave for her father , when she married William Fletcher in 1857  ( York / Dec 1857 / vol 9d page 74 )

I am sure that the Jane Blackley on the 1851 census , living with Mark and Dinah Webster , is our girl. I wonder where that surname came from ? I just wish I could find Dinah or Jane on the 1841 census.

I will give it another whirl .

Regards

JeannieR

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
from the parish records for dinah's christening it gives her father as charles goodall, for her wedding to mark webster it shows her father as joseph goodhall.
i'd like to know who the mother was.
im going to try and find the witness's from her wedding to thomas and see if that can reveal anything

yorkshire