Author Topic: South Lancashire Regiment soldier  (Read 16868 times)

Offline princessblackfoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Lancashire Regiment soldier
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow I am amazed by the response and so grateful for all your interest.

My grandfather was William Lapping born at preston Barracks in June after his father died in February. The information I have I got from the Friends of the Queens Regiment Museum who were fantastic but couldn't enlighten me further. The information about where he served is taken from the 1901 census which listed his sons and their birthplaces and the fact  that by then Elizabeth was a widow. I got the marriage certificate from my Uncle and the fact that he also possesses a medal for John Joseph. His father is listed as John  Lapping occupation Joiner.

I have searched Ancestry Census records and Birth and Marriage records but have failed to match anything up. The photograph shows him in uniform as a colour sereant which he is listed as on his marriage certificate and his two English born sons birth certificates. He must have been demoted before he died.

My father did use to say that his dad was part scouse and part Irish which would seem to suggest that the 1861 census for Liverpool could be his mother (Mary Judge) but I can't find any definite links. and this would also mean that both he and Elizabeth lied on their marriage certificate , she saying she was five years older that she actually was and him five years younger?

I have now been looking for this elusive man for 3 years and he is the reason I first started looking.

Thank you all so much.

Aly
Lapping - Kingston upon Hull, Portsmouth
Heard/Herd - Isle of White
Godfrey - Shirebrook, Westhorpe, Southwall
Johnson- Brassington
Needham - Brassington
Buckley - Leeds & Hull
Wyer - Leadenham, Hacconby, Lincolnshire
Wagstaff - Kirkby in Ashfield

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »

What regiment does it say on his marriage certificate and the boys birth certs Aly ?

I'm just asking because I went round and round the houses looking for my Granddad in the South Lancs and one day out of the blue I looked at my Grandmas death certificate and found out he had transferred to the Rifle Brigade ... and it had been sitting in front of me all that time !!  ::) ::)

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie I just re read your reply properly and you seem to have hit on something I have not seen before  that being the marriage of John Lappin and Mary Judge, couple that with the fact John Judge is an apprentice joiner ....? I can hopefully pop into the Liverpool Library soon and get to the bottom of that one in the Parish records.

This looks quite promising

Aly
Johnson- Brassington
Needham - Brassington
Buckley - Leeds & Hull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

on the marriage certificate it says he is a colour Sergeant in the 1st South Lancashire Regiment stationed at Buena Vista Barracks, Gibraltar

On alberts Birth certificate (born 1895 Orford Barracks Warrington) he is a colour Sergeant South Lancashire Regiment.
On My Grandfather William Gorge's Certificate (born 1900 Fulwood Barracks Preston) he is listed as deceased, Corporal, South Lancashire Regiment. so not very helpful. He did transfer from the 1st Battalion to the 2nd Battalion just prior to them sailing for South Africa in December 1899, according to the Researcher in the Regimental Museum.

He was postumously awarded the South Africa Medal with the Relief of Ladysmith Clasp in April 1901

I am struggling because the family were never very close and my dad moved away from the age of 17 and it was only really after his death that we made any real contact again and I have very few actually people to talk to about this.

Aly
Johnson- Brassington
Needham - Brassington
Buckley - Leeds & Hull

Offline gillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

I am  researching my family history and my great uncle was PTe Harold Wright from Chester serving in the 8th South lancs regiment and sadly killed on 16th October 1917 and is buried in Woburn Cemetery Cuinchy. I would love to know more about where he fought, which battle he was killed in and who his comrades were. I am the head of his family now and there are no living relatives that I am aware of to ask - would welcome offers of help.

Regards

Gillm
Robinson
Nantwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillm

I found out quite a lot from the Friends of the South lancashire regiment. I just wrote to them at the museum in Preston giving what details I had and they did some research for me. I think there may have been a small charge, but they will advise you of that. Give me a minute and I will find the address for you.
Johnson- Brassington
Needham - Brassington
Buckley - Leeds & Hull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillm

I wrote to the Friends of the Museum of the Queens Lancashire Regiment at fulwood Bareacks, Preston,PR2 8AA. I am a newbie myself and I was astonished by the speed and amount of help I got from my enquiry. These people are real experts.
Johnson- Brassington
Needham - Brassington
Buckley - Leeds & Hull

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
The soldier is a Sergeant, Royal Artillery, pre-1880 full dress tunic.

Post-1880 grenades were worn on the collar of full dress tunic.

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 November 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aly

I am confused why the child (William) was born in Preston. The Depot of the South Lancs was in Warrington (sharing with the Liverpools). The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment had it's Depot in Preston.

The number 1026 would have been issued in the early 1880s. Can you say on which occasions the number was quoted - marriage, 1895 birth, 1900 birth, Boer War casualty roll?

Ken