Author Topic: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's  (Read 21335 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 20:48 GMT (UK) »
No mill there now!!

Reg. No.   15402411
Date   1780 - 1820
Townland   ARDBRENNAN
County   County Westmeath
Coordinates   227886, 248474
Categories of Special Interest   ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
Rating   Regional
Original Use   bridge
In Use As   bridge

Description
Single-arched road bridge over small stream/former millrace built c.1800. Constructed of limestone rubble with dressed limestone voussoirs to arch. Parapet walls capped with vertically aligned stones. Located to the west of Loughanavally.

Appraisal
A well-built small-scale bridge, which retains its early form and fabric. The use of a local building material in the construction of this bridge helps it to blend into its surrounding environment. This bridge is very typical of the many small-scale bridges that were built by the Grand Juries to improve the transport system in Ireland, particularly during the late eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries, a period of relative economic prosperity. This single-arch road bridge is part of the local infrastructure and as such is of social significance. This bridge may be associated with a former corn mill, now demolished, which was sited to the northeast of this bridge. A mill pond is shown adjacent to the west of this bridge on the 1838 map of the area, now silted up. This bridge remains an assuming element of the engineering and transport heritage of Ireland.

From  http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WM&regno=15402411
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
 Most common surnames in Killare in 1854
       Surname          No. of households
       Cormac           13
       Kearney           11
       Kelly           11
       Dalton           7
       Finn           7
       Loughlin           7
       Nally           7
       Scally           7
       Casey           6
       Daly           6

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=2474&civilparish=Killare&citycounty=Westmeath
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline arae83

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 04:13 BST (UK) »
Joyce,
I so hope you are still looking at this.
I just found your thread today and have info that may help.

My family is descendant from a Francis Kenny (1803-1891) in Strokestown, Co. Roscommon, Ireland.
His wife was a CASEY (we don't know her first name)
But here is the Kicker, Francis was a Ropemaker in Strokestown.
So there had to be some kind of Fiber mill nearby!! Combined with the fact that he was married to a Casey.

The little bit of info I have on the Casey side is as follows.
The Mrs. (Casey) Kenny had at least 2 siblings
1st - Maria Casey married to Martin Conry of Tulsk, Co. Roscommon
2nd - Philip Casey, who was a leader of the "Young Ireland" movement and was convicted of treason for his part in the rebellion against the English in Jun 1848. He was banished to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) where he worked for a wealthy sheep rancher. The rancher left him all his property when he died but the government confiscated it on the grounds that Philip Casey was a felon.

Francis Kenny and ? Casey had 16 children.

I have a partial packet of papers from a J. Vincent Kenny, written July 2nd, 1993 about The Kenny Family.

Let me know if this helps. The whole time I was reading the thread I kept thinking that Strokestown or the area there abouts would be a good place to look for a Mill.
Let me know if you find any new info on this, if this is a connection, cause this is where I'm stumped too. I too hope to someday get to Ireland too.

Alicia

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
Alicia,
I can't believe I'm really no further along than I was 5 years ago!  I thank you for sharing your information, but I really don't know if there's a connection or if there's anyway I can pursue it.

We don't even know what type of mill - grain or textile.  The grain (corn mills as they were called) were much more numerous than the textile ones, but in any case, any mill they had would have been defunct by the time Griffith's Valuation was done in the mid 1850's.

The only immigration details that I have been able to document with any certainty is that my g-grandparent, Peter Casey, took the first step toward naturalization in Cincinatti, Ohio, on Oct. 20, 1858, and stated his age as 23, making birth year 1835.  Of course, I know that they usually had no clue when they were born, just guessed at it and the age changed with every later census.  In these initial papers, he says he arrived in the US from port of Liverpool on May 9, 1853, but this was also just a guess because I searched and he wasn't on any ship that day.  There's a Peter Casey who arrived the end of May that year, one who arrived mid-June that year, and one who came in 1854, any of whom could have been my ancestor.  His witness for naturalization was a Patrick Casey, and I'm thinking that was most likely a sibling.
I still haven't made it over to Ireland but am hoping to go next year.  I sure do wish I could "find" him, and although I keep searching, doubt I will.
I wish you luck in your search and we'll keep in touch and hopefully be able to share more information!
Joyce
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron