Author Topic: Kincardine by Doune McLarens from Kirk Lane  (Read 30241 times)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kincardine by Doune McLarens from Kirk Lane
« on: Monday 17 November 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking to solve 2 mysteries.  First death information on Duncan McLaren  b. Jan. 11, 1784   m. Isobel McGregor Dec. 11, 1813  then they seem to disappear.

Second his nephew Peter  b. Oct. 30, 1825  m. Janet McLaren Dec. 16, 1849.  She remarries Robert McKerracker in Canada.  Family Bible says Peter died May 20, 1855 but not how or where or where he is buried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also does anyone know of any historical fiction depicting life draining the Mosses?       Thanks  Jan

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: Kincardine by Doune McLarens from Kirk Lane
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of an old magazine article about the clearing of the Moss if that would be of interest to you.
I don't know of any fictional writings though.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the reply. I have one article called "The Moss Lairds" by an Achie McKerracker. If yours is different I'd sure be interested as I'm descended from 3 families that lived that experience.  Getting it to me might be a problem as I live in Canada.

Thanks again   :)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 14:16 GMT (UK) »
PM me with your e-mail address and I will try to send it as an attachment.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 08 15:06 GMT (UK) »

The article came through fine and has been read with interest.   Very complex and long term undertaking was the draining of the moss. Fascinating for me to read how my folks would have carved out a dwelling albeit a bit damp. Also new to me was the varying depth to the peat. From the description it looks like my Kirk Lane folk were in the deep end (10'-12') and probably were experienced from work on the shallower Drip Moss/Low Moss end.

Thanks for your trouble. Its greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Glad you found that article of interest.
Here is a sketch that tries to show the habitats of those engaged in clearing the Moss.

I think I scanned it from a book titled 'Thornhill and its environs'

Cheers

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 November 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Thank-you Fergie - another real gem to have. I can feel the damp and cold although can't imagine the wind being a problem.

Back to the Fergusons.  My connection is Mary who, while she married John McLaren in Comrie (1782), was living on the moss (Wester Rossburn) until at least 1798. She isn't listed alive or predeceased at the family's location, # 3 Kirk Lane, when the 1814 census was completed for the Moss. The Duncan in my original post was her son. Her daughter Mary married a James Ferguson.

Would you have any idea where ships bound for Canada or Australia left from in the area?

This is all like a great detective novel!!      Cheers,   annejan

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 November 08 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne -
www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists
may help..
I have the Brig Sophia from Freenock 26 Jul 1818 to Quebec and Montreal
There  is McLaren families out of Balquidder and Ferguson families out of Kincardine.
It may help.
Heaps of luck with the McLarens/Fergusons  ::) cannot find any connections with mine..but you never know LOL
patvp p.s. have a look at the thread Daniel Ferguson (stuck again) that's my lot
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 November 08 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again - Do you have a date of birth for Mary Ferguson and a place of birth may help
Have a Mary on my print out of OPR's born 1762 at Balquidder to Duncan Ferguson and Margaret McGrigor.
All the best ..Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.