Author Topic: DALEY in Wellington nsw au  (Read 6356 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: DALEY in Wellington nsw au
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, Caroline ....

Those old rolls should be a very good resource .... despite some current views, I have always understood that enrollment was available to anyone in 1903 who was aged 21 and over, provided they were British Subjects, either born in the Australasian colonies, or naturalised anywhere in the Empire, or born in the Empire's "home country" or its dominions, provided they were residents in one of the States or territories administed by those states.....   Yes, I am aware that many persons chose not to enrol, or perhaps were unaware that they were entitled to enrol .... however, the early rolls would be a good place for indexing Aboriginal people in the New England district of NSW....  as would various holdings at the Uni of New England ... petitions particularly those pre Federation may well contain names of females supporting or opposing New England's separation from NSW .... Those petitions will not state the petitioner's "ethnic" origins, but perhaps the names may match up with names of interest to your indexes.   

Also, once a township had been "incorporated" there would be rates books, which if you consider the indexes of ones online for the City of Sydney as typical .... well you may find names of tenants, as well as landlords, and the details of the buildings to be rated.   Again, pre-federation and at municipal record keeping, there was no administrative reason to differentiate between a person's ethnic origins. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Others from that particular polling place from that 1903 roll, showing their place of living as “Aborigine/s camp” include

George Clemmens, labourer
Joseph Toby Colliss, labourer
Eliza Cook, domestic duties
Mary Hadick, domestic duties
Jenny Harris, domestic duties
Selina Holland, domestic duties
Catherine Marks, domestic duties
Jessie May, domestic duties
Joseph Moulder, labourer
Thomas Nolan, labourer
John Riley, labourer
Mary Riley, labourer
Emma Stanley, domestic duties
John Stanley, labourer
Sophia Stanley, domestic duties
James Wighton, labourer
Mary Wighton, domestic duties
George Wood, labourer
Ellen Woods, domestic duties

There were around 2170 persons enrolled for that polling place, many of the surnames are not classical “Anglo” names.     

I list these, in case there are clues to help Paul's searching ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Yes, I have all the station records to go through at the UNE archives as well...  Have been through the Anglican Reigisters and that took about 2 weeks full time at least.  I love it though, and it is helping people find their ancestry/relatives.    The only rate books that survive are a couple fo years in the 1870s and maybe some later ones.  I should check on the later ones.  The council has the old ones, that I know. 

Cheers,

Caroline
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 April 11 13:05 BST (UK) »
I have noticed a few inquest references to Aboriginal people in Wellington.  The inquests are available on Ancestry.com as well as State Records repositories. 

Regards,

Caroline

www.armidalehistory.com
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)