Author Topic: Davisons of Scarborough ca 1800  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davisons of Scarborough ca 1800
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I have recently started work on my nephew's tree and  have worked my way back through the grafters of Dickensian London to his gt*3 grandfather:

Henry Davison b ca 1800/1801 in Scarborough,

who in the 1851 and 1861 censuses gives his occupation as Mariner.

The Directory for Scarborough in 1834 lists a Henry Davison as a Master Mariner and ship owner. Another, possibly the same one is listed as owning a pub called The Ship.

There is not much listed on familysearch.org for Davisons in Scarborough so I am wondering if you have any suggestions or tips on what to look for when I go to the records Office for Scarborough which I assume is in Beverley.

Since I do not expect to be coming up to Yorkshire for some time, is there some kind soul who could look up theHenry Davison baptism for me please?

With many thanks,

Howdie (in the chatroom)
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Davisons of Scarborough ca 1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have found a baptism which may fit on Ancestry:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1351
Christening Date:    18 Feb 1801
Christening Place:    Scarborough, Yorkshire, England
Father's Name:    Henry Davison  Mother's Name:    Frances

I wondered if he was in partnership with someone called Harrison?  There is an article in The Hull Packet on Friday 30 December 1836 about a light brig owned by Davison & Harrison  (accessible through the Gale site)

Gill

Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 08 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Gill,

Thank you very much for that.

I found he had two brothers, Theophilus Davison christened 1809 and Thomas Davison christened 1803 also in Scarborough.

I was unable to locate the article you spoke of in the Hull Packet - could only find the British library website with no link to the digitised image and no reference coming up on Google.

Regards,

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Howdie,

Try http://access.gale.com/newstrial/ with a password of british, I think this link will still work.

In the "publication title" box just type in Hull & you will get the Hull Packet results.

Gill
Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Gotcha  ;)

Many thanks.

Howdie