Author Topic: Alexanderl Irwin lokup  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Belfast beau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexanderl Irwin lokup
« on: Thursday 20 November 08 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Any information please on Alexander Irwin,wife Mary and Canadian son Daniel, recorded in the 1911 census living in Morden Manitoba at No. 90 Eighth St. Any info after this date would be greatly appreciated.Belfast Beau.
Irwin. Limavady / Coleraine/Belfast.
Harvey. Liverpol / Dublin/ Belfast.
Hewitt. Co.Armagh / Co. Down.
Dickson.lanark Scotland / Ballymoney/ Belfast
Porter. Mackeral / Mackerel. Surrey

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alexanderl Irwin lokup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 08 04:48 GMT (UK) »

Hello

vitalstats.gov.mb.ca

Alexander Irwin
Died 23/061928 age 79 years Morden Manitoba Is this yours?
Found many Marys but did not know which one might be yours.
Found a marriage for Daniel Irwin 1915 to Isabel Smith could this be your Daniel
Found no death for Daniel but looks like Isabel died 1937 if she is the right one

Western Land Grants

Found  2 records for a Alexander Irwin with images showing a copy of his Land Grant

NW Sec 11 Twp 4 Range 7 W1
 SW Sec 11 Twp 4 Range 7 W1

Hope these are the folks you are looking for.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Belfast beau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilybell.
Thanks for your swift response, unfortunately they don't fit with my dates.  The record from the 1911 census state the ages for Alexander, Mary and Daniel as 27, 26, and 9 months respectively. Alexander as a painter Mary as a teacher  and Daniel an infant  The details of their emigration to Winnipeg which might help are as follows. They sailed from Londonderry Northern Ireland and arrived Ellis Island 1st May 1910 on board the SS Caledonia,their destination was noted as Alexander's brother in law William James Ross at Macdonald farm Winnipeg. I can't  be sure whether William J Ross was Mary's brother or not but I have been assuming so. I hope this additional information will help, many thanks for your effort. Belfast Beau. ;D

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »

Hello Belfast Beau.

Could you provide some more information on Alexander and Mary. Full names(Mary's maiden name) DOB,where in Ireland they were born, parents names.

Do you know if they stayed in Manitoba after arriving in Canada or did they move on to another location.Did they have more children?
The more information you can provide the easier it will be to find them.I'm not making any promises but will have another go at it.

Regards from Alberta
Lilybell

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 November 08 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Could this be their marriage in Ireland? Alexander Irwin m.1910 Mary M. Ross.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Belfast beau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 November 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Yes I think this is the one, we believe they emigrated shortly after their wedding. They sailed from Derry on board the SS Caledonia and arrived Ellis Island NY on May 1st 1910. Their address in Ireland was given as Reid's Terrace, Coleraine, Co. Derry and next of Kin was my G grandfather Daniel at that address. Their destination from the ship manifest was Alexander's brother in law William James Ross of Mc Donald farm, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I thought it strange at first going to Canada through New York and when I saw the destination address I thought of Old Mc Donald's farm. I thought it was a spoof to get into America but then discovered there was such a place. Then I later found them in the 1911 census  living at 9o Eighth Street in Morden Winnipeg with a 9 month old baby named Daniel. I hope this helps and again thanks for all your efforts. Belfast Beau. ;D

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 November 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I searched through the Manitoba records and came up blank on information for Alexander, Mary and Daniel.  There are records for people with those names but in each case the record is about 30 years too early.

I drew the same blank on Ancestry only finding the 1911 Census which showed them in Canada.  I couldn't even find a boarder crossing from the States to Canada but it could have been too early, I am not sure when they started keeping those records.

I did find a death for a William James Ross who died in Whitewater, Manitoba on February 18, 1911 age 37 which would have given him a birth year of 1874.  Of course I have no idea if he is the right William or not.  Oddly, there was also a marriage for a William Ross to Ida Florence Irwin on June 3, 1914.  This date is too late to make him Alexanders b-i-l at the time of immigration but I thought it an odd coincidence so thought I would mention it.

I couldn't find anything, anywhere that refers to this family after 1911.........but I might have missed something as I didn't try spelling variation.  They seem to have just disappeared.

I hope someone comes along to prove me wrong.  :D

dollylee

Offline Belfast beau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dolly, this is Beau Dolly. Sorry I get carried away with musicals. The William James Ross who died in Whitewater on February18th 1911 could be the right person for the brother in law Ten years older than Alexander and Mary, they were both born 1884 and 1885 respectively. I have not researched the Ross family for I wasn't sure what Mary's maiden name was, in fact I was unaware Alexander was married until i found the listing in the ships manifest for Mamie Irwin.  I've just had a thought if Alex and Mary went out to Canada and joined family (brother in law) as a starter, maybe Alexander's other sisters may have followed suit, I'll stop rambling on now and have a look see. Many thanks Belfast Beau :)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello Belfast,

I have been doing some further checking on Alexander Irwin and family but so far have not come up with much.

I checked with the town of Morden and neither he or his family is buried at any of the cemeteries in the town or at neighboring Winkler. I have the library checking for any information they might have and also have another source checking. If they should happen to find anything I will forward it onto you.

I have come up with a Border crossing  record on Ancestry which could very well be your Alexander the date of birth is out by a couple of years but mistakes happen .

If you will PM me with your email I can forward it onto you and you can check it out. Some of the writing is a little hard to make out but maybe your eyes are better than mine.

Another question what was Alexander's full name?

Lilybell