Author Topic: Paisely Asylum  (Read 3122 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Paisely Asylum
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the location of Paisley Asylum c1899  from the death cert  it looks like Ricca?
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Paisely Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I found a google ref. for Riccartsbar, Asylum, Paisley, Renfrewshire. I wonder if this is the Riccaxxxx you have found.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
many thanks...you have eyes everywhere :o

Dave
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Developed when the children were very young   8)

POINTS OF INTEREST
The Royal Alexandra Hospital was first opened in 1986 at a cost of £57 million. At the time the hospital opened, it had 2,500 staff and around 700 beds. The plaque inside the building states the hospital was officially opened by HRH Princess Alexandra on 3rd May 1988, but the actual formalities took place on 31st May 1988. The date was chosen to coincide with the exact month 88 years earlier when the old Royal Alexandra Infirmary, which the RAH replaced, was opened. The hospital was built on the original site of the Riccartsbar Mental Hospital. The old Riccartsbar Farm was demolished to make way for today's RAH.

www.happyhaggis.co.uk/renfrewshire.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Dave

As a Paisley buddy born & bred yes there was an asylum called Riccartsbar which is roughly where the current RAH is built. Passed it many  time on walk to me grans when I was a wee one. I think have some pics of it but might be while getting cos at my mum's and I'm now in Yorkshire but leave it with me. (I used to be involved with Ferguslie cricket ground which is cross road and also went to what was the Maxwellton school a stone's throw - now another name ).

There was also Dykebar on east of the town which was also (and still is) a mental hospital

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-