Author Topic: Ancestors of Ostle & Beck ( Co Durham)  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Ostle & Beck ( Co Durham)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 February 09 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieAnn

Have you not got their marriage certificate?  That would show fathers' names and occupations
Sep 1857 Auckland  10a   169   
  Amos  Barron         Elizabeth  Young   

baptism at St. Nicholas Church Hetton-le-Hole
27 Nov 1833 Amos Cook Barron, of Hetton le Hole, son of James Barron (inn keeper) & Elizabeth   

daughter was Mary Ann Barron born in 1881 ( my g-grandmother)- however she does not appear on any census.

Is this not your gt-grandmother Mary Ann on the 1871 census with her family, born 1861 not 1881? RG10/4933 Folio  4 Page 1

Amos died Jun 1877   Auckland    10a   108   BARRON Amos Cook  aged 45    
Elizabeth remarried to John Dobson    Jun 1880 Durham  10a   458

The family is on 1881 census at http://www.rootschat.com/links/05l9/ and Mary is still at home with mother and stepfather

1891 census RG12/4073 Folio 137 Page 35 Elizabeth & John Dobson still in Byers green, no Mary Ann but I imagine she has married by then?

Hope this helps

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline lizzieann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 February 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara - I`ve been working from very old family documents & when I look carefully I see that Mary Ann was born in 1861 & her daughter was born in 1881 --- makes more sense now ; I`m now looking for Anthony Craggs who was Mary Ann`s husband; however Anthony`s parents were named Wealand so I`ll have to try & puzzle that out !

Thanks for your real help
                           LizzieAnn ( named after Mary Ann`s daughter)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I`m now looking for Anthony Craggs who was Mary Ann`s husband; however Anthony`s parents were named Wealand so I`ll have to try & puzzle that out !

When did Mary Ann & Anthony Craggs marry?

I can see a marriage for Mary Ann Barron to a Joseph Craggs Jun 1881    Auckland  10a 317   

in 1891 they are in Byers Green with a son called Anthony

Or do you mean you're looking for Joseph's father Anthony?

Barbara   :-\ 
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Answering my own question - it's Mary Ann's father-in-law you're looking for  :)

Anthony Craggs, he's on the 1841 census aged 15 living with Robert and Margaret Whealands at High Row, Thornley - doesn't necessarily mean they were his parents as relationships aren't shown on the 1841 census

possible marriage Holy Trinity, Sunderland
 12 Sep 1831 Robert Wealands (bachelor), of this parish married Margaret Luwes (spinster), of this parish

They may be related as a Margaret Craggs aged 4 was visiting them in 1851 census

Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Easington   St. Mary the Virgin
17 Feb 1844 Anthony Craggs, age minor, of South Hetton, son of Robert Craggs married Ann Temperley, age minor, of South Hetton, daughter of Joseph Temperley

so no, the Wealands were not his parents!

Barbara

Offline lizzieann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 February 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, sorry for not replying, I got a bit side-tracked away from Anthony Craggs onto another branch of the family- that is, Anthony`s wife, Ann nee Temperley;
I know Anthony`s father was called Robert Craggs but you`ve been better than me in finding his (Anthony`s) baptism; does it state who his mother was & the baptism date;I know Anthony was born in 1825at Bournmoor, New Lambton ( ?? sounds like Houghton-le-Spring area where he lived with the Wealands)

Many thanks for your continued help to a novice!
          Lizzieann

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 February 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I know Anthony`s father was called Robert Craggs but you`ve been better than me in finding his (Anthony`s) baptism; does it state who his mother was & the baptism date;I know Anthony was born in 1825at Bournmoor, New Lambton ( ?? sounds like Houghton-le-Spring area where he lived with the Wealands)

Hi Lizzieann,

Don't think I actually found Anthony's baptism, I found his marriage in 1844 for you.
Have you looked on familysearchlabs for the baptism?

Barbara

Offline Freebyrdkare

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 May 24 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi 👋 I too am a descendant of the Beck family. I've traced them back to the late 15th century always living in Cumbria. Sarah Beck's parents were John Beck 1798-1865 & Rebecca Douglas 1797-1850. John Beck's parents were William Beck 1775-1865 & Jane Martin 1772-1845.
My family tree is public on Ancestry just search for Beck, Telford, West, Jones family. Hope this helps. Most of the male Beck's, going back in history, were blacksmiths.