Author Topic: Sunderland to Adelaide  (Read 1991 times)

Offline pbootes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sunderland to Adelaide
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for anyone related to the BOOTES family who left Sunderland in UK and went to Adelaide before the First World War. Frederick George Bootes and his sons Frederick George, alfred Charles, and Charles Ernest i have found in the National Archives of Australia for their service with the AIF 1914-1918, but there must be some left who are descended from them or can help me further.

Paul Bootes
Researching the Bootes/Boots surname worldwide
BOOTES in Kent, Sussex, Durham; HUNT in Norfolk and Durham; HOULTBY in Lincoln and Durham; and North Pennine leadminers [GOWLAND, ELLIOTT, RUMNEY, RITSON]

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland to Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I have pm'd Paul the BOOTE's bdm from the SA Indexes.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 05:11 GMT (UK) »
You can search here....Newspaper death notices may give you more information on the families.  There is a fee for a photocopy of the notices on the Cemetery Index, Newspaper Deaths and Government Gazette databases.

http://www.saghs.org.au/graves.htm

Some BOOTE's burials
http://www.centennialpark.org/burial_memorial_search/

Have a browse at the top of the board under
Australian Resources
> South Australian Resources

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
There is the following burial record on

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deadsearch/cheltenham_ac.htm

Kym who is responsible for this wonderful website, will email a photograve of the grave to you on request.

khor AT iprimus.com.au    Replace the AT with @

BOOTES

ELEANOR JANE (DIED 1924 AGE 71), STANLEY E (DIED 1914), CHARLES F, FREDERICK (DIED 1931 AGE 81), ELEANOR J (DIED 1924 AGE 21)

Photo 7185, 7187         File   4

She asks that you please note the  cemetery, name, photo number and the file number

Cheers
Cando

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 08 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the AWM website Charles Ernest BOOTES who died in action WW1, the circular attached to his record states 5 brothers enlisted. 3 enlisted Adelaide and 2 in England. Of the 2 in England one died in WW1.

Frederick George appears to have had step-sons enlisted WW1.

Arthur BOITANO
Angelo BOITANO - Killed in Action 1916
Hebert Walter CARR

Also another female member of the family enlisted in WW2 gives Frederick BOOTES as next of Kin.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Anxioajie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, I know this is a long shot but am hoping you might get back to this page. Although  not directly related to the Bootes/Boots family, I do have some oral history of my family related to Fred Boots and his family. It seems Fred and Mrs Boots (previously Boitano/Boytano) were well know to my Grandfather Harry Cuthbert and his wife Hanna Dunlop, and would often spend time with them at their dairy farm in Wattle Flat in South Australia in the early 20th century. Most stories and reminiscences are from my mother who remembered them well (mother passed away in 1997). The Boitano's/Boots had the farm next to my Grandparents, and my mother was always raised believing the Boitano's/Boots were her cousins, something Harry Cuthbert insisted upon. I am just starting to look at these connections: Harry's parents were Charles and Mary Ann (nee Beall) who came out from England in 1876 to South Australia, and the story goes somebody knew the Boots in England. Also, apparently Fred Boots may have been in the Merchant Marine with Harry Cuthbert. Both Boitano and Cuthbert received soldier settlements post WW1 which is why they had neighbouring farms in Wattle Flat. Mrs Boots had very bad eyesight, and mother spoke of one incident where Mrs Boots thought she was applying toothpaste to her teeth but it was black shoepolish! There was a definite connection between Cuthbert-Boitano-Boots.

kind regards

An

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi An,

Pauls email notifications are not working at the moment but think that I now have managed to send him a message via another website :D Hope to see Paul soon!

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk