Author Topic: Francis Ballantyne Mysetry  (Read 4925 times)

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Ballantyne Mysetry
« on: Saturday 08 November 08 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Francis Ballantyne  recorded as 38 in 1855, and Janet Douglas 24yrs parents to George Henry Ballantyne 24 August 1855 Yarrow Selkirk.

No marriage recorded for Jannet and Francis.

There is a Francis Ballantyne b 1814 recorded in Roxburghshire and I have a family history of him, but cannot prove the connection between him and my George.

Also there is a wedding between a Francis and Jessie in 1857 after the birth of a child, but again the birth dates of the parents do not match those of Francis and Jannet from young Georges birth cert.

Are they connected, and is there some sort of family secret involved.

There is a family tradition that an old uncle found out something (not nice) about George but told none and did record it.(good on him) ??? :(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Ballantyne Mysetry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Just putting a link to your previous post to help people doing any searches www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,336109.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
From your entry on Ancestry, you have:

George Henry Ballantyne was born in Scotland County Selkirk, Yarrow, in 1855. He emigrated with his family to N Zealand as a child, he Married Mary Ellen Norman, and their first child was Mary Ann who was born in 1885.

This is explains why I couldn't find him in the later censuses after his birth  ::)

More importantly, the team of RCs on the Emigrants to New Zealand board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,337752.0.html have found for you HEAPS and HEAPS of info both in NZ and in Roxburghshire (all four pages of postings).

Not really sure what the mystery that you refer to could be  ???

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
From the way the 1855 birth certificate was written up as posted to you by Gadget, it would seem that Francis and Jessie were not married at the time of George's birth that year. The RCs on the NZ board also found for you a number of other children for Francis and Jessie, so you have:

1855 24 Aug YARROW: George's birth - mother showing as Janet
1857 1 May YARROW: marriage of Francis and Jessie
1857 27 May YARROW: birth of Isabel - mother showing as Jessie
1859 14 Jan YARROW: birth of Thomas Scott B. - mother down as Jess

As you have seen the names Janet/Jessie are interchangeable in Scotland (sometimes even with Jane/Jean).

Leaving aside the fact that Francis showed younger in his 1857 marriage (not uncommon, specially with a younger second wife), you could check the 3 birth certs. to confirm father's occupation and more importantly, the address(es) showing for the family between 1855-59 prior to their departure for NZ in 1860.

Monica

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 08 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, I went back and had another look at all three birth extracts, and all three are registered at Yarrow School. Also a town which is hard to read and could be WBergerburn or WBuigerburn, something like that is on their birth records as well.

I am sorry to be difficult, I did want them to belong to me but I have been warned about being sloppy with dates that are a few years out, and I just wanted to be sure.

Plus while searching for Jannet Douglas I came upon a family that had both a Jannet and Jessie as daughters born just one year apart  and thought that something shifty was going on with Francis and two sisters.
Maybe I let my imagination run away with me.Michelle.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle

It is easy to go off course when you are researching and you are right to want to verify your steps along the way  :) Am I right in thinking that the addresses for residence on all four certificates, including the marriage matched?

Did the parents' names match for Francis Ballantyne on his 1857 marriage cert. and the death details that have been found in NZ?. It might also be worthwhile trying to find the 1860 death entry, if you can, for the death of young 'Mrs Ballantyne' during the voyage to NZ to confirm what you can for her parents also.

Francis' 3rd marriage to Elizabeth in NZ also gives you another opportunity to confirm his place of birth and parents hopefully.

The Scots liked their name variants and can confuse you if you are not familiar with them. This site is good for giving you an idea on name variants www.whatsinaname.net.

I would not be so concerned about ages for Francis. People's ages do vary, mostly down  ::). You are lucky to have so many fact verified in NZ about him.  Also in Scotland the name Francis Ballantyne is quite rare and his family has been well researched.

Good luck with everything.

Monica  :)

Offline myshell007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 November 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica ,I came upon something interesting while trawling the webb, an answer to a question titled "Second house in Newcastleton" sent in by a Moderator comment - email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.

I have tried to contact this address to find out more but dont know whether I will get through.  :-\

My question is, Is there really that much information out there about this family, and does this site know of where to get this sort of information. It may be a long shot but since you are in the right part of the country I thought I would ask.
Michelle  :)

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: this reply merged from elsewhere

Francis Ballantyne   reply
There  were two Francis Ballantynes to parents John Ballantyne and Mary Miller.  The first Francis was born about 1814  and the second was actually John Douglas Francis Ballantyne born about 1819 in Castleton. He died in New Zealalnd  and is buried at Crookson Cemetary (died on 24/9/1901)

John Douglas Francis Ballantyne married three times.  
Firstly to Margaret Frances Archibald approx 1838/39
Their children were
Jessie burn Ulston 1840
John born Ulston 1842
James Archibald born Hobkirk 1847
Mary Born Hobkirk 1845
Margaret born Ashkirk 1850
Mary Ann born 25/9/1852  (our connection)

Margaret Frances Archibald died in Ashkirk in 1852

He married secondly  Jessie Douglas  born in New Castleton 1834
Their children were
Tom born in Bengerburn
George  born Bengerburn
Isabella born Bengerburn
Jessie Douglas died as the boat was bringing the family up the river to Dunedin in New Zealand 26/9/1860)

He married thirdly  Elizabeth Aitcheson   born Bannockburn 1836
Their children were
Agnes born Dunedin  1864
Frank born Dunedin 1866
Simon born 1868
William born  1870

Both John Douglas Francis Ballantyne and his third wife are buried at Crookson Cemetery in Otago, New Zealand
Hope that helps
Ngaio

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi ngaio

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Great to see the information and many of the findings confirmed by you.

Monica