Author Topic: THOMPSON Marriage in Burnley c.1760-1767  (Read 5594 times)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
THOMPSON Marriage in Burnley c.1760-1767
« on: Saturday 05 February 05 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've slipped across the border from Cheshire......

Mary THOMPSON b.abt 1739 dtr of Abraham & Elizabeth Thompson of Burnley married a Richard BLOWER/BLOOR/BLEWER (Clockmaker) of Northwich, Cheshire. Having drawn a blank in the Cheshire Marriage Index I'm now wondering if the marriage took place in the brides parish. First known child was born in 1767 in Northwich, Cheshire.
Can anyone help with a look-up or point me in the direction of a Lancashire resource? Or does anyone recognise this Thompson family?

Odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Cooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: THOMPSON Marriage in Burnley c.1760-1767
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Odessa

We have been in touch some years ago regarding our Alcock & Deakin links in Northwich - I sent you a copy of Rev George Alcock's genealogical research from 1920's.

I've been doing some research on my Blower family and noticed your message here, thanks to Google!

Did you find anymore info about Richard Blower - my 6xgt grandfather?

I do know Richard Blower married Mary Thompson (1739-1810) at St Thomas, Liverpool on 13 Aug 1765.  First child, Sarah, born c1767 in Northwich.
I have also found that Mary Thompson was baptised in Burnley on 23 Oct 1739 to Abraham Foster and Elizabeth Thompson - possibly parents were not married at the time of Christening.

I know that Richard Blower is the son of John & Sarah Blower of Northwich and Richard was a Clock/Watchmaker.  However, I cannot find a birth/Christening or a death for him.
I have also found a possible sister for him - Mary Blower, Spinster, c1736- 15 Jun 1799 - Parents: John & Sarah Blower.

His youngest child, James, drowned in 1789 in Northwich and Richard is listed on the burial record as the 'late' Richard Blower.  James was born 7 Nov 1780, therefore there is a nine year gap for Richard's death (1780-89) but I cannot find a Cheshire burial record for him.  Have you found one?

I have also found an Ann Blower (c1754-1835 - buried at Whitegate) who married John Drinkwater in Weaverham in May 1789.  I was hoping to find a link between this 'Blower' and my other Blowers!

My link to Richard & Mary Blower is their son Edward, who married Ruth Gandy, and their daughter,  Mary Blower who married James Alcock.

Regards

Phil

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Phil, I remember - rocking horses!

Anyway, yes I have a baptism for Richard Blower, and 3 siblings from the early registers of the Chapelry of Witton.

14 APR 1734 Richard son of John BLOORE of Northwich, Sailor.
24 OCT 1736 Mary dtr of John BLOORE of Witton, Sailor
04 MAR 1740 James son of Jno.BLOWER of Nor’wh, Sailor.
13 SEP 1741 Jno. Son of Rich.BLOWER of Northwich, Waller.

and these burials from the same registers

24 JUL 1739 Jno. son of Jno.BLOWER of Nor’wh, Sailor.
18 JAN 1743/44 James son of Jno.BLOWER late of Northwich, Sailor.
07 AUG 1743 Rich’d BLOWER of Nor’wh, Lab.
Mary BLOWER/Northwich/spinster/John & Sarah Blower/Northwich/15 JUN 1799/17 JUN 1799/N.Side/Apoplexy/63.
James BLOWER/Northwich/child/late Richard & Mary Blower/Northwich/16 JUL 1789/18 JUL 1789/N.Side/Drowned/in 9th year.799/N.Side/Apoplexy/63.
Mary /BLOWER/Northwich/widow/Unknown//22 MAY 1810/25 MAY 1810/South Side/Accidental Death/70.

These were taken from the micro film at Northwich Library some years ago, so it would be interesting to see if they appear on-line anywhere.

It may be that I've missed a burial for Richard Blower, they are not easy records to transcribe, or it may be that he died out of Witton and was buried elsewhere. Maybe he travelled to acquire the material for his clock/watch making?

I wondered about John Blower (Richard's father) noting that he is a sailor, which could mean flats or vessels out of Liverpool. But recently I've seen a marriage 22 JUL 1732 of a John Blower to a
Sarah Beamont at St Benet Paul's Wharf, London. The only marriage of a John Blower to a Sarah I've found in the right time frame. Not sure if we would ever verify or dismiss this.

I'll take a fresh look and get back to you.
Odessa.

Offline Phil Cooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 15 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Glad to know I was on the right track with the Blowers - pity neither of us can find a death for Richard Blower (clockmaker).
I did find one of his longcase clocks on sale at an Abersoch antiques shop via the web. - dealer is asking £4000 for it.  A bit steep for me though I've said to my family I would like a grandfather clock one day!

Phil

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 15 13:44 GMT (UK) »
What a stunning clock!

Phil, I did find that Richard's sister Mary Blower who died a spinster in 1799 names a sister Anne Bullock in her will, and that probate of the will was undertaken by Anne Bullock's then husband Thomas Weston. Looking at parish registers it would appear that Richard and Mary Blowers mother - Sarah Blower, married for the 2nd time on 17th OCT 1753 at St Helen's, Witton to a William Bullock and I found 3 children baptised at St Helen's, Witton.

Elizabeth Bullock b.abt 1755 bap 7 SEP 1755
Anne Bullock b.abt 1757 bap 10 MAY 1757
William Bullock b.abt 1758 bap 18 JUL 1758 d.22 JAN 1787

Anne Bullock married Thomas Weston at St Helen's, Witton 27 JAN 1793

I cannot find a death for John Blower, father of Richard !

odessa