Author Topic: Help Please,Looking For Albert Brown In Census Before 1901  (Read 4134 times)

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please,Looking For Albert Brown In Census Before 1901
« on: Thursday 27 November 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for help please with my family of  Albert Brown, I believe I have him in the 1901 census as living at,
19Ship Yard street,Birmingham Ladywood,Warwks The family are listed as;

Albert BROWN Head Md 29 Carriage Maker (Worker)
Elizabeth BROWN Wife Md 30
Thomas BROWN Son 12
Maud BROWN Daur 7
Albert BROWN Son5
Lilly BROWN Daur 2
Minnie BROWN Daur (1 mo)

All just shown Born Birmingham.

Class; RG13;Piece;2829;Folio;151;Page;34

Please can anyone find for me the *Head * of the family as above* ALBERT BROWN  * in the census going back in time,so as I can find out who he's PARENTS were please. 
I really would appreciate some help with this please. Thanking you in advance.

Sophiedog. :)
Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Towner Bishopstone......................................................
Illson Leicestershire...............................................
ADAMS/GANDERTON/ BENNETT /TAYLOR/BROWN. Warwick Birmingham Areas.
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)
COOK,Brighton / Cuckfield...

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please,Looking For Albert Brown In Census Before 1901
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you are going to need a marriage cert -or the birth cert of one of the children

There are more than 1 Alberts of correct age.

Is it possible that Thomas was not Albert's son???

Do you know Elizabeth's maiden name???

Could it have been Evans???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,I only have the Marriage cert for lily Brown,(my grandmother married to Joseph Adams, September 1920)
Wittnesses to the marriage,were her sister Minnie Brown and her father Albert Edward Brown, Occ ;Prambulater wheel maker.
Sophiedog
Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
You would think having the middle name would help-unfortunately there are more than one Albert Edwards -so there is now the complication of ones using the middle initial E -and ones who don't.

I would think it really is necessary to purchase ne of the childrens birth certs -it is too easy to follow an incorrect line with a name which is not unusual
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
You would think having the middle name would help-unfortunately there are more than one Albert Edwards -so there is now the complication of ones using the middle initial E -and ones who don't.

I would think it really is necessary to purchase ne of the childrens birth certs -it is too easy to follow an incorrect line with a name which is not unusual
Suz
Ok Suz,thanks for your help I will send for Lilys Birth Cert.
Sophiedog.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 08 17:41 GMT (UK) »
the birth cert would give mother's maiden name -so then you could find a marriage -but then tht may mean another cert to get you further back.

I am trying to find Thomas in 1891 -can'y find him under brown - but will keep looking

if we can find Thomas with mother Elizabeth  and he was of a different marriage, then we will have more to go on

Have you looked in 1881 for possible family of Albert Edward??

Suz

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 08 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Suz on my fathers birth cert with his mum as Lily Agatha BROWN she was living in Kings Norton 2 Raddlebarn Road, part of the workhouse,dads cert says born workhouse ,and these houses in Raddle barn Road were used in those days as part of the workhouse.and on the marriage cert she is a spinster age 21yrs. I was thinking surely the Albert Edwards Brown's you can see are not all Prambulater Wheel Makers are they.?
I am going to see if I can find Lily's birth in BMD,I can't get actual census look ups as I don't get credits.
Thanks for your continued help,I thought you had given up on me. I appreciate your help.
Sophiedog.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 November 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophiedog,

No haven't given up on you.

The answers to your questions are: none of the Albert Edward browns on the census are perambulator wheel makers -even your Albert isn't!!!
That was his occupation at the time of the marriage of Lily - in 1920!
In 1901 he was described as a carriage maker
In 1891 he would only be 19 -so his occupation could have changed again
What i was wondering was if Thomas was Elizabeth's son pre marriage - maybe from another marriage (as there is a 5 year gap between Thomas and Maud.
I can't find an Albert brown married to Elizabeth  with 2 yr old Thomas in 1891.
The other problem is there are quite a few Albert browns/Albert Edward Browns b abt the same time in the same area.
On the census some have a middle intial of E -some don't.
Your Albert should have an E -but doesn't
So it's difficult to see which Albert is which.
To find Albert's birth reg is difficult too -as there are so many close together.
Also on 1901 census it says all b Birmingham -but we can't exactly take that to be certain -as sometimes p.o.b.'s on census are just "dittoed" for the whole family-sometimes for the whole page.
I have trwled through Elizabeth's of the age given but haven't come up with anything yet.
I am now going to trawl the census for Thomas' age 2 -as maybe his age is more correct than Elizabeth's
So I am quietly working in the background -it's just taking time

Suz

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Suz,I was not meaning to be rude,I know you all work very hard behind the scenes helping us all. Thank you. for that.
I have been going through the BMD and Freecen UK.and the LDS,does your eyes in doesn't it, !! (or eye in my case. )have not come up with anything either yet. Thanks again you have all been great to me in the past.
Sophie.