Author Topic: MERRIMAN - DONALDSON When did they marry?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Megan Hodges

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MERRIMAN - DONALDSON When did they marry?
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Listers,
I have a problem with my one lot of my great great grandparents, and their daughter my gt grandmother.  I can't find a marriage for them nor a birth for her.
Gt Gt grandfather William Frederick Merriman is supposed to have married Sarah Donaldson c 1859 in Sydney may be Parramatta (don't know why it was narrowed down to there.)

W F M is first noted to arrive in Sydney in 1855 per Isabella from Chile as an O.S. crew member aged 19 (c1835) he is a butcher by trade and subsequently is employed on board ships plying between Galle in Ceylon and Sydney plus he is perported to have had a Butchers shop at millers Point, Sydney.  W F M died in 1879 aged 44 (c1835) he had married at age 25 so that puts it at 1860.  His widow was informant.

According to two death certs from 1902  Gt Gt grandmother Sarah was the daughter of ? Donaldson a glassblower. She was aged 68 at death putting year of birth at 1834 in Glasgow or Edinburgh Scotland.  She was aged 19 when she married (1853) was in the colony for 45 yrs (1857) ??? informant on one cert daughter Julia on other her husband.

Their first child Julia (gt grandmother) is noted to have been 40 yrs at time of mothers death b c1862 can't find her in birth index.  Second child William Charles born 1865, have baptism cert. is noted on mothers death cert.

Julia is 17 c1864 at time of first child in 1881.  At time of 1st marriage in 1882 she is 20 stated on cert., at 2nd she is 28 in 1891 and 3rd 62 in 1924.   1st marriage by Rev. Fullerton so nothing on it could be true.
given all the evidence it looks as though 1862 is correct.

If anyone can find the marriage and / or birth entries for the above, you will have my undying gratitude.

Meegan in Penrith

Barrett - Martinique
Bennett - Surrey; Kent; Essex; NSW
Fenwick - Scotland
Fernandess/s/z - Mariner married in Laois
Godden - London
Goodsell - SSX & Australia
Hodges - Lancashire, Hampshire, Middlesex, East London
Hunter - WRY & Australia
Lidsey - London
McDonough - Scotland
Markcrow - ERY, Lincolnshire, Kent, Australia
Merriman - London & NSW
Owens - Fermanagh NI & NSW
Pollard - London
Ransom - Sussex
Ross - WRY & Scotland
Sivyer – Sussex
Sweeney - Scotland
Utley – WRY
Young – East London

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MERRIMAN - DONALDSON When did they marry?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 08 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hunter

Can see 7 children to William F and Sarah,  but alas NO Julia
Sorry

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Megan Hodges

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MERRIMAN - DONALDSON When did they marry?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 08 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daizi

Sorry should have said I had all Julia's siblings.  There is a marriage in 1869 for a William GR Merriman to a Sarah Barrett.  Maybe Wm was too busy toing and froing across the indian ocean to get married until then but not to busy to create children.

Hunter
Barrett - Martinique
Bennett - Surrey; Kent; Essex; NSW
Fenwick - Scotland
Fernandess/s/z - Mariner married in Laois
Godden - London
Goodsell - SSX & Australia
Hodges - Lancashire, Hampshire, Middlesex, East London
Hunter - WRY & Australia
Lidsey - London
McDonough - Scotland
Markcrow - ERY, Lincolnshire, Kent, Australia