Author Topic: Why is everyone moving everything?  (Read 8184 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why is everyone moving everything?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
but the current speed of Rootschat is truly abysmal alot of the time - a smaller database might well assist

good point, but it isnt the size of the database - frankly, RC's is peanuts compared to many.

Tis the Server's other resources, and I guess like most things, only throwing money at it will help ....

:(

Tis all relative Newf - halve the data base & keep the same size server - it would be great. I have a lap top that I use for a minimal number of projects and the hard drive is about 10% used. It runs like a dream, I can't keep up - (except when using RC). My man has the same size lap top - disk is 75% full, he processes some massive DBs and it is grinding to a halt. He also has 2 desktops - I just have my one little lap  ;D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Trish it's sweet of you to worry about our workload but actually it makes it easier for us, and importantly for others, in the long run.  Thanks for everyone's forbearance meanwhile.

There are several issues here - the one about the Moved notices is easily resolved and we've decided that we will use those less, which will mean less clutter on the Unread list.

Newf - the Mark All Unread debate remains unresolved since the last time we discussed it.  There's a thread somewhere (not marked Completed!!)

Rootschat behaves pretty well IMHO - certainly on a decent broadband connection it is OK most of the time.  I well remember going to make a cup of tea while internet pages loaded in the bad old days of dial-up, so I'm more than greateful for what I get nowadays!

You will all notice a decline in the number of posts moving around when we all get sorted - but rest assured we won't be asking you to stop posting meanwhile!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. Completed posts will never be removed.  They are a valuable repository, which can be searched to Google etc and should be available indefinitely.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Trish
My man has the same size lap top - disk is 75% full, he processes some massive DBs and it is grinding to a halt.

it really isnt the amount of data on the hard disk Trish - 'tis resources like RAM and Processor Speed and if the disk is SATA or ATA will make a diffn .... but your point is understood.

Cheers AR; good news about the Moved notifications - ref 'MARK ALL etc' .... how does one get a 'Request for Improvement' on the 'to-do' list ? (or at least a formal rejection ? )

Over the last few days RC has deffo slowed down, some threads taking some time to load, and then 100% for a while ... today is fine so far.... it isnt my BB connection, so it may be overall Internerd degradation or .... ?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
OK AR, it is rare that I am accused of being sweet  ;D so I will assume you are correct - but I will expect to see a reduction in the discussion of how much work has to be done - cause stopping all the moving would certainly reduce the work load.

And it is really slow some of the time - trouble is - we quickly forget about the bad old days of dialup - I worked with computers in the days of punched cards, - the response time then was 1-24 hours, depending if you could convince the Computer Operators to process your punched cards instead of someone elses.

The best time for me is 2-4pm - but I have the advantage of being on the other side of the world to most posters - so I will just be smug about the advantages of being a colonial.

Trish

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Rest assured - no work done without good reason!

Newf - you'll know when I know!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Well AR, based on the history of 'Suggestions for Improvement', I wont hold my breath    ;)

seriously tho, is there no vehicle to put forward such ideas - and get a considered response ?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Address at the bottom of every page - have you tried writing yet?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:38 GMT (UK) »
are you seriously suggesting a Postcard    :P

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:42 GMT (UK) »
are you seriously suggesting a Postcard    :P

Oi newf - being I have been told thread starters "own" threads, this one is mine and is about moving, so if you are sending a postcard, mention moving. Maybe I should send one - being as I live in the colonies.

Trish