Author Topic: Why is everyone moving everything?  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Why is everyone moving everything?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
abject apologies Trish - tis a good example of how easily things digress  :P
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:58 GMT (UK) »
abject apologies Trish - tis a good example of how easily things digress  :P

Oh dear - I do like digression - I apologise for appearing critical of digression - digression is the making of message boards. Please digress, I insist.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:01 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned on another topic, suggestions for improvements and wishes for new fuctionality do get passed on to admin.

Not everything is "do-able"  bearing in mind that we have to work with the resources we have now (hardware, software, firmware) and not with what we would like to have.

I also said on the other topic that all requests need to be considered in terms of  performance. As an example, here is some general information to Newf's enquiry about "mark all as read":

To do this, the software needs to create a matrix of topics/members. Every time a member reads a topic, the topic is marked as read for that member.  Any time somebody adds something to the topic, that topic must now be marked as "unread" for all members (apart from whoever actually posted the new reply ;D - we've had this discussion before:
Topic: What does "new" by a posting mean ?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127304.0.html )

I don't know how the software could best do it:
1) a "matrix" file, as above ?
2) every topic in the database has a list of members "attached" that needs constantly setting and resetting ?
3) every profile has a list of "topics read" attached, that needs constantly setting and resetting ?

Part of this in place already (otherwise we couldn't have the "Show unread posts since last visit." link)  but to do this for every member and every topic is an aweful lot of work.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'm not saying it won't be done;
I'm merely trying to show that there is sometimes quite a lot of work behind what seems like a simple task, and that some of this work can also mean performance loss.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bob, first time anything at this level of detail has been fed-back.

I also said on the other topic that all requests need to be considered in terms of  performance. As an example, here is some general information to Newf's enquiry about "mark all as read":

To do this, the software needs to create a matrix of topics/members. Every time a member reads a topic, the topic is marked as read for that member.  Any time somebody adds something to the topic, that topic must now be marked as "unread" for all members (apart from whoever actually posted the new reply  - we've had this discussion before:

As you've said, the feature is already partly implemented -

Part of this in place already (otherwise we couldn't have the "Show unread posts since last visit." link)  but to do this for every member and every topic is an awful lot of work.

.... and by saying its already done for each individual user and topic, it must have all the components already in place - maybe a later release of this Forum-ware would implement it .... but then that probably means money ?

I'm a member of quite a few Forums, all of which except RC have the feature, and dont seem to suffer related performance issues.

As I mentioned on another topic, suggestions for improvements and wishes for new fuctionality do get passed on to admin.

Apologies, but I was hoping for something more formal - and I do understand that not everything is do-able, tell me formally and I'll stop asking.

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Just a quick question ;D

When you look through all the posts that has had no replies what will happen to the

ones where people have not signed into Rootschat for years ::)

I have gone through some on the Oxfordshire and Berkshire boards in the past and found

some posts that i could reply to but the person hasn't  been on for years so chances are they

wouldn't see my reply anyway ???

Sue

Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

It's a risk!  Sometimes the Mods ask the question but we don't want to "bump" threads to which we have no answers.

The original poster (OP) wil get an email notification in the usual way, provided they haven't changed their email address and that they originally had notifications enabled on that thread (which is the default).

Some of our early users will have changed email address without changing their profile, and others have adopted new RC identities instead of asking for a password reminder or similar.  Others have gone to a better place ...

If you feel like answering, others may still benefit though, so don't let that put you off, especially if you have access to resources that others might not have.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for making that clear Arranroots and will keep in mind your advice :)

Sue
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 04 December 08 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Just got to add a comment about all this crazy moving

This thread got moved while I was composing my reply!!!!!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=345947.0

A thankyou for the first reply at 13.07 today
My reply - which took 10 minutes or more to compose - I was checking things - posted after a hiccup(time out message & whatever) at 13.36  today
I then discover it is sitting in completed requests - with the
"This post has been moved" thread timed at 13.27 today
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,345975.0.html

Is there a competition going to see who can move the threads the fastest. Is only one person allowed to answer each question?

One minute, folks are posting queries "Is this complete" on threads that are 6 months old, the next a thread is less than a day old and zoom - tis gone.

Can we AT LEAST wait 24 hours before moving threads. Alot of folks look at a board to see if they can help. I check the immigrants to Australia board - I DON'T check the completed board.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 December 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »

Can we AT LEAST wait 24 hours before moving threads. Alot of folks look at a board to see if they can help. I check the immigrants to Australia board - I DON'T check the completed board.

Trish

I would agree with this (well I would, wouldn't I, since it was my query that Trish replied to so helpfully  :)  ).   

Intial queries often lead on from the original question and answer to information that the person hadn't thought of asking for.   It would be a great pity to close all queries off as 'COMPLETED'   before anyone has had a chance to see if there is anything they can follow it up with. 

I don't tend to look at requests marked as completed - I expect a lot of other posters don't either.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk