Author Topic: PRONI Will calendar search question  (Read 9623 times)

Offline THamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PRONI Will calendar search question
« on: Tuesday 02 December 08 03:04 GMT (UK) »
I believe that I have found (using the index) the will records for my g-g-grandparents.  Not sure where to go from here.  There is limited info online.  Here is what the website says:

"A project to index and digitise 1858 - c1900 wills from the District Probate Registries of Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry is almost complete.  Phase one - an index to the will calendar entries (grants of probate and letters of administration) - is now available on the PRONI website.  Phase two - to link the will calendar entries to the digitised images of the wills - will follow shortly."

I'm guessing that what I am currently able to view online is Phase One ??  Anyone know when Pase Two will be avail?
Hamilton/Kane in Cushendun/Glendun, Antrim
Gaughan/Munnelly in Belmullet, Mayo

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: PRONI Will calendar search question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 05:37 GMT (UK) »
I believe that I have found (using the index) the will records for my g-g-grandparents.  Not sure where to go from here.  There is limited info online.  Here is what the website says:

"A project to index and digitise 1858 - c1900 wills from the District Probate Registries of Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry is almost complete.  Phase one - an index to the will calendar entries (grants of probate and letters of administration) - is now available on the PRONI website.  Phase two - to link the will calendar entries to the digitised images of the wills - will follow shortly."

I'm guessing that what I am currently able to view online is Phase One ??  Anyone know when Pase Two will be avail?

Hello THamilton,

There's an enquiry form on the PRONI Contact Us page. PRONI should be able to give you an idea when Phase Two will be available. www.proni.gov.uk/index/contact_us.htm

Christopher

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I have been able to buy photocopies of several wills listed on the PRONI Index.  I sent them an email on the 'contact us' address and they sent me an attachment with a reference number on it and a bill.  I sent them a cheque, and the photocopy arrived by post - all very satisfactory.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline THamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PRONI Will calendar search question - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I did send an enquiry to PRONI and received the following response:

"PRONI are currently undergoing a project which will include adding digitised images of wills to our online will calendars. This project is hoped to be completed around Spring/Summer 2009. You may wish to occasionally refer to website which we will update with progress on our current projects."
Hamilton/Kane in Cushendun/Glendun, Antrim
Gaughan/Munnelly in Belmullet, Mayo

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found my g-g-grandfather's will details on the PRO site...

Joseph Hill   

Date Of Death:    06/05/1914   
Date Of Grant:    05/08/1914   
Effects of £823 16s. 10d.

The abstract reads:

"Probate of the Will of Joseph Hill late of Carnlougherin County Antrim Farmer who died 6 May 1914 granted at Belfast to John Law Farmer"

What does this mean though - did all his items go to this 'John Law' or was he just an executor? Joseph Hill married Harriet Collins, her sister Ruth married John Law - I believe this is the connection anyway.
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
By the way, Carnlougherin is a townland just down the road from where I live now - haven't flown too far from the nest!
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »
From my experience, he would have been one of the Executors.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 14:14 GMT (UK) »
FMNI, You appear to be correct about the marriages

Joseph Hill married Harriet Collins Aghalee Cof I Lurgan 23 Jul 1852

John Law married Ruth Collins      Aghalee C of I Lurgan 8 Aug 1851

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
fmni

If you go to PRONI they will be able to let you look at the Will and Probate so you will be able to see who was left what. They have copies of every Will and Probate for Northern Ireland from 1900.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)