Author Topic: O'BRIENs in Kilcoole/Kilquade WICKLOW  (Read 6370 times)

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
O'BRIENs in Kilcoole/Kilquade WICKLOW
« on: Monday 08 December 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Trying to chase ggg grandfather, James, back to around Bray, Co. Wicklow, prior to 1851.
GRIFFITHS shows 5 "BRIEN" heads of household in Kilcoole civil parish; two James, Henry, John & Patrick - and I understand that Kilcoole/Kilquade records are available for research in the NLI, Dublin.
Would be grateful for any advice as to best use of time (structured searches..relevant enquiry lines...reader's ticket requirements....anything!!) for when I get across to Dublin early next year.

SOB
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'BRIENs in Kilcoole/Kilquade WICKLOW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 08:40 GMT (UK) »
All you need to view the Catholic Parish record microfilms is a newspaper pass. You pick these up at the reception desk - no application or form filling required.

There are lockers to leave coats phone etc

The parish of Kilquade is all on one film (P.6478) and these are usually split into sections which relate to new Parish register books.

see the National Library Website at www.nli.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Much obliged

Steve
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I was just browsing a newsletter from a UK based company (Parish Chest) and came across an book that may be of interest : 

"Kilcoole County Wicklow, School Registers from 1861"

link : http://www.rootschat.com/links/051r/  (about half way down the page)

edit : also listed on the Genealogical Society of Ireland website at www.familyhistory.ie/shop/index.php

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline liz hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 14:19 GMT (UK) »
forgive me for this intrusion,didn't know how to send a message (chat) i am looking for a peter Coyle or Kyle who was said to have drowned in the west indies  in 1873 by his wife alice kilpatrick,and this was stated on his daughters marriage certificate in 1895,can find no trace of the marriage of peter and Alice in Belfast 1860's
can anyone help and steer me to the correct way to use this website
god bless
many thanks
liz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Liz. Everyone starts out being unsure in the beginning but hopefully others will be able to help you.
To start with I'd like to have this post moved to its own thread so it will be seen by people with knowledge of local sources, etc.
However, before I do can you give me an idea where it should be placed. For example, if you are searching for the marriage of Peter and Alice in Belfast it should be moved to Antrim board (whih covers Belfast).

There's a whole section on How to Use Rootschat but perhaps this thread will be most helpful:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

Added note: liz hamilton has now posted a query on Co. Antrim Requests board herself so if anyone can help with the above family please respond there:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,347010.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Again, much appreciated.  Thus far, however, I'm still tracing backwards on my paternal line....James (bn~ 1816) & brother Henry were over here in England,1851, copper-mining in Coniston - James emigrating again in 1870 to the USA.

I'm hoping parish marriage/birth/baptism records just might step another generation backwards before I can even think of chasing the countless descendants forwards............but there's no doubt I'll try!!

Thanx v much

Steve
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
The death certificates of some U.S. states (depending on the period) list names of parents and their birthplaces, etc. Depending on when and where James died in U.S. (and what details the informant provided) there might be a chance of some clues on a death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey

James featured on US census 1870, Rockaway Township, Morris County, New Jersey.

His wife, Anne, born 1820, lived through to the 1900 census - still in Rockaway, and with son Henry and his family.  Did not feature 1910.

Please advise how best to look up death certs/records.

Thanx again

Steve
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer