Author Topic: George Barnett (Convict)/Elizabeth Bacon  (Read 3043 times)

Offline andacala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Barnett (Convict)/Elizabeth Bacon
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody provide any information on George Barnett/Elizabeth Bacon. George was supposedly of Scottish descent but information indicates he may have been born in Hampshire in 1801. George was supposedly a convict and was transported to Van Diemens Land in approx 1822.
George married Elizabeth Bacon in Green Ponds, Tasmania in 1836. George and Elizabeth had 5 children. George died in Kangaroo Flat, Victoria in 1874. I have no information pertaining to Elizabeth.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Barnett (Convict)/Elizabeth Bacon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Is you information from family stories or historical documents? I don't see a George Barnett arriving in Tas in 1822, but there is one in 1825 and one in 1830
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

On his death index, the birthplace is given as Hamp - an abbreviation for Hampshire. His parents are given as William and Elizabeth Bacon - so am I confusing a wife/mother - or do they have the same name - I see the confusion, Elizabeth Bacon is given as mother on one of the Tas birth records  :(

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andacala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 08 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Thanks for you email.
I obtained the information from the same website in which you referred to. It was a mistake on my part last night as I was typing the information from memory instead of having it in front of me (typical male trying to multi-skill). It was 1825, and he was aboard the Medina.

I have the same information which you refer to from the Pioneer index. Elizabeth was definitely his wife, however it is possible that Elizabeth was also his mother. I have no information on his parents, but he was believed to have had a brother named Reuben.

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andacala,

George Barnett and Elizabeth Bacon were my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandparents. I believe Elizabeth was also a convict, arriving in 1833 abroad Frances Charlotte.

Hopefully we can share some information.

Thanks James

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 06:18 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this:

December Special Assizes
? ( maybe Session),
George BARNETT, horse stealing, sentence: Death
Just under George's name is that of a John BARNETT with same crime and sentence.  Perhaps a brother or cousin?
It was common that a sentence was commuted to transportation.

UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books,
George 24 and John BARNETT, 20, convicted Dec 24, 1824, at Kingston-upon-Thames, of stealing a mare were received from Horsemonger Lane on Dec 27, 1824, to the prison hulk Retribution moored at Woolwich.  Both sentences were now listed as "life" and they were discharged to NSW on 6 April 1825. (We now know that George, at least, went to VDL)

George BARNETT, per ship Medina, was recorded as having obtained a pardon in Tasmania during 1841.

Another Tasmanian record (1840) gives that his trial was in December 1824, given a sentence of life.  He had been in the colony for 16 years, and had held a conditional pardon for "nearly 4 years".  The comment for him reads: "Held conditional pardon for the regulated period and well recommended by the master with whom he had lived many years as well as the Police Magistrate of his district."

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 19 06:57 GMT (UK) »
An on-line tree suggests
that George BARNETT (1801 - 1874) born c1801,  Liphook, Hants (Hampshire).
Occupation ploughman, labourer, farmer
On arrival George was assigned to Captain Clarke at the Clyde (Bothwell) and by 1832 he was assigned to Thomas Anstey.
George Barnett died at Opossum Gully (Bendigo), Victoria in 1874 and was buried on the 20th May 1874 at the Kangaroo Flat Cemetery.

However there are no references cited for this information.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

This information is great, I only had small parts of this info.

Thank you so much :)

Offline chayes37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 April 24 03:07 BST (UK) »
I am the great-great-great-granddaughter of George Barnett and Elizabeth Bacon.

George and his brother Jonathan were indeed convicted of horse stealing which was a capital crime at the time. In their case the sentence was commuted to transportation for life (he was transported in 1825, aboard the Medina). In Van Dieman's land he was assigned first to Captain Clarke at Bothwell and then to Philip Anstey at Oatlands.  George's convict and transportation records are easy to find online -- the UK government has digitized records of transported convicts and you can even read about his conduct and punishments on board.

Elizabeth (b. 1812-1859) was tried and convicted in Surrey in April 1832 and arrived in Van Dieman's Land on the Frances Charlotte in Jan 1833 with her infant Jonathan.  She was assigned to the "Female Factory" (House of Correction) in Hobart and young Jonathan would die there (I have his death certificate; he died in April 1834 and the Female Factory is listed as the place of death).
Elizabeth's story can be found in the wonderful database of Female Convicts in Van Dieman's land (https://femaleconvicts.org.au/).  But her convict and transportation records have also been digitized and can be found online in the UK convict and transportation databases.  One hand written report states:

Transported for stealing four silver tea spoons, one blue moreen bed curtain, one linen sheet,one linen pillowcase and two table knives. Gaol report indifferent. Single. One child. Stated this offense flg (?) silver spoons. "They were given to me by my master’s son to provide for my child. My master asked me to swear the child to somebody else and said he would not prosecute me if I did which I refused to do." Orderly on board. Single.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this brief account but it seems pretty clear that she was impregnated by her master or his son, that the son gave her some valuable items ostensibly to support the child but actually to frame her, and then when she was "caught" with the items, the master pressured her to lie and say the child was someone else's, but she refused. This information was apparently reported to the gaoler after the trial and did not come out in the trial.  She was given a 7 year sentence, the minimum for transportation. The convict description says she was 4'11'' with red hair and grey eyes.

After the Female Factory, she was assigned to Philip Anstey in Oatlands.  George Barnett was also assigned to Anstey so presumably they met there.  They would have 4 children in Oatlands (Mary Ann, Bridget, William and Elizabeth). After obtaining their freedom they took the family to Adelaide in 1845 where my great-great-grandmother Sarah Ann Mary Barnett was born in 1848.  In 1853 the family returned to Launceston on the Yarra Yarra (the passenger manifest is online). Elizabeth would die there in 1859 but the Cypress Street Cemetery where she was buried has not been maintained and her grave cannot be identified. 

George and at least some of the children would then head to gold country in Victoria (Campbell's Creek/Kangaroo Gully/Kangaroo Flat area). George died in 1874 and was buried in the Kangaroo Flat Cemetery which I visited last year.  But the cemetery, which suffered a fire, is in a state of disrepair and his grave cannot be located.

George and Elizabeth's daughter Bridget and husband James Shelton raised a large family in Kangaroo Flat. Bridget's death in 1918 is reported here: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/219781658?searchTerm=bridget%20shelton.
Note that the obituary states that she came from Adelaide to Kangaroo Flat. That's not quite true. In fact her family went from Adelaide to Launceston, where she married James Shelton in 1853 and had her first daughter Elizabeth (named after her mother) in 1854. Only later, presumably after mother Elizabeth's death in 1859, did George and the family head to Kangaroo Flat in Victoria.
In 1992, the descendants of Bridget Barnett and James Shelton (and thus, the descendants of George Barnett and Elizabeth Bacon) held a large family reunion in Kangaroo Flat.

As I mentioned I am descended from George and Elizabeth's youngest child, Sarah. She would marry Alfred Pike in Campbell's Creek but she was widowed at a young age. Her son, Alfred Pike Jr., was my mother's grandfather. Sarah would marry again only to be widowed within a couple of years.  She married a third time and is buried in Sydney with her daughter.

I hope this information is helpful and of interest.

Offline chayes37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 24 20:28 BST (UK) »
Also, I am very interested in hearing from any descendent of George Barnett who has done DNA testing.  I would like particulars about his ethnic identity to help determine the accuracy of a very old family rumor!!

I see that Jimmy Jazz is a direct descendant.  Jimmy, have you or any of your siblings or other direct descendants done DNA testing?

Christine