Author Topic: Parentage of Thomas Stephens, born Cavan County 1813  (Read 3200 times)

Offline andacala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parentage of Thomas Stephens, born Cavan County 1813
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to determine the parentage of Thomas Stephens (my 3rd GG), born 1813 in County Cavan, Ireland. His parents were Thomas Stephens (no information whatsoever) and Margaret Scott, who died in Melbourne in 1873, aged 90.
Thomas married Catherine Bell in 1838 (b 1819, Killashandra, County Cavan, Ireland, d 1900 Melbourne). Thomas and Catherine immigrated to Australia (assisted immigrants) with Catherine’s two sisters in 1840 aboard the Andromache.
I have been unable to locate any information on Thomas Snr and Margaret Scott.  An 1821 Census in the Townland of Duffcastle, County Cavan reveals:
House 19:
Margaret Stephens (Age 39), widow, Flax Spinner
Richard Stephens (Age 13), Labourer
Thomas Stephens (Age 7), Scholar

Have no record of Richard whatsoever. There is no evidence to suggest that he immigrated to Australia.

Thomas' mother, Margaret is buried at Melbourne General Cemetery. I have been unable to locate her name on any shipping/passenger records.

There is a Thomas Stephens (b 1786) from County Cavan who was sentenced to 14 years in Australia Thomas was transported aboard the “Pilot” to Port Jackson. Family have indicated this is Thomas' father, however we have no proof.

1825 Muster shows Thomas being free by servitude and being employed by John Harris of Melville.

1828 Australian Census shows Thomas as a Labourer and being married to Catherine Stevens (Age 30), Government Servant, with a child named Patrick Stevens (Age 1).  Catherine’s maiden name was Larkins. She was also a convict. She came to Australia aboard the convict ship “Brothers” in 1826. She was sentenced to 7 years.

Other possible children were: Anne (1830); Elizabeth Anne (1832) md Joseph Waters and died Richmond, Victoria in 1921; Thomas (1838); Margaret (1840).

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mikestepuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parentage of Thomas Stephens, born Cavan County 1813
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking at a report I had written by Cavan Research about my ancestors who came from Crosserlough, I noticed among the baptism records for my gggrandfather's children, that on 30th January 1814, Thomas Stephens & Margaret McDowell were 2 of the sponsors at the baptism of John Stephens. He was a son of John & Isabella Stephens  who had a tenant farm in Aghagegna a townland which was close to Duffcastle. There are baptismal records for 11 of their children and several of the sponsors' names are the same as the Stephens listed in the 1821 census for Duffcastle. Hope that this is helpful. Mikestepuk

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parentage of Thomas Stephens, born Cavan County 1813
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 22 18:41 BST (UK) »
I believe that Thomas was married to Margaret Scott and had about 4 children. It was after a son died that he stole and was convicted. He did apply at least twice for his wife and children to go to Australia , but was turned down. He then cohabitated/married Catherine. I have very strong DNA ties to descendants of both families, but do not descend from Thomas myself. This leads me to believe that I descend from his parents or grandparents through possibly the Johnstons. They lived nearby, and I see they did intermarry, but none seem to be mine. My William Johnston was born c. 1790.