Author Topic: marriage mystery  (Read 4937 times)

Offline CarolynWinterburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
marriage mystery
« on: Monday 15 December 08 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have the marriage cert. of Maria Walpole and George Stanton 1856 Gt Yarmouth. I can find no death of Maria and George is married on the 1861 census where he is listed in his brother's house in Gt Yarmouth but no Maria.
I believe, from the witnesses on the cert. that she was  Maria Walpole born 1839 from Norton Subcourse, father Robert, although she said she was 21 when she was married. If so she is in Norwich in 1861 as a servant living under her maiden name.
In 1863 she married Robert Payne in Norwich and in 1870 George married Mary Irving in Middlesex. I have the cert. and it says he is a "bachelor", Mary was a Widow.
I can find no divorce, I believe it was too expensive for the "working class" in those days, so I am wondering if they both agreed to say they were single so they could remarry. They both remarried in other towns, so who would know!!!
I'm wondering if anyone else has come across the same thing or indeed know anything about Maria's 2nd marriage.
Regards
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Marriages could be annulled if one of the parties was under 21 and parental consent was not obtained. Also if one spouse abandoned the other and was not seen again, then after 7 years they were presumed dead and a remarriage was allowed (well no prosecuted as bigamy anyway). However, the marriage might just have broken down and they decided to lie about their marital status when they remarried, as they were in places then when no one would know any different. It happened more often than you might think.

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 December 08 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

How certain are you that they are the same people?  Have you checked wills for all family members? Have you checked all census entries that could include them and their family?

Unless there is irrefutable evidence that they are the same people, I would tread very carefully before I jump to conclusions.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,

I agree with you this certainly looks like George Henry Stanton born C1834 Great Yarmouth the
son of Robert & Mary Stanton, the consistant entry being that he was Deaf and Dumb. 

Possible 1st Marriage 1856, would appear to be correct because he states married on 1861 Census.
(wife not found as yet)

There is a Second Marriage 1870 but have you noticed that on the 1871 Census he has two children
both born prior to this marriage?  Thomas born C1865 and Alice C1868.

Who was the mother of these children?  Have you obtained birth certificate for either of them?

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for all the help.
The 2 children on the 1871 marriage are in fact the  children of Mary from her 1st marriage. On the 1881 census their surname is Irving.
 I have searched for another Maria Walpole, his 1st wife but can find no other that fits. On the certificate it says Father Robert Walpole Ag Lab and the Witnesses were Robert and Harriet Walpole
There was another born in Flegg in 1836 who died in 1858. On her tombstone it says the daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann, nothing about her being married, and George,as you say is married on the 1861 census. Also there is no association with either of the witnesses names.
Regards
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,

The only other thing I can suggest is have you checked the marriage entry to Maria Walpole
with the Church Register in the hope there may be other comments by the Vicar?

Re association with witnesses Robert & Harriet Walpole, assuming  Robert is not her Father
could it be her brother and the Harriet her sister in Law:-

1841 Census
HO107/756/13   Folio 4 Pg 32 Norton, (civil parish LODDON)
LISTED AS WALPOOL

Robert 30
Margaret  40
Robert 9
William 7
Pheby 4
Mariah 2
George 1

Margaret death registered June 1849 Loddon
Phoebe death registered Dec 1842 Loddon
Maria, George and Charles 1842 all births registered Loddon

In Later Census Robert (1851) & William (1861) both give their place of birth as Heckingham

William Walpole = Harriet Whitlock  Sept 1854 Yarmouth.
Still think you are correct, as he gives his full name on 1st Marriage.

Sorry if you have all this, good luck.
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spendlove.
Thanks for your trouble. You have confirmed what I already have. There doesn't seem to be an alternative does there!
I haven't searched the parish records, I did contact Nat Archives and they would do a search for a fee to see if there was an annulment.
Kind regards and a very happy Christmas
Carolyn